Dale joins coaching staff

spSwimBrief

Dennis Dale has been named the associate head coach for the IU men’s and women’s swimming team, Head Coach Ray Looze announced Monday.

Dale spent the past 29 years at the helm of the University of Minnesota men’s swimming program. Under his direction, the team won seven Big Ten titles, and Dale was Big Ten Coach of the Year six times.

“Dennis Dale brings a wealth of swimming knowledge to our staff,” Looze said in a May 12 release. “Not only is he one of the NCAA all-time great coaches, but is a first-class individual who puts his swimmers needs above all else. There are very few people involved in swimming who possess are greater passion for the sport.”

Dale’s duties officially begin July 1. He will join Kyle Hastings in working with the men’s and women’s sprint groups.

“It is my belief that by assigning two full-time staff members to sprinting we will take the necessary steps needed to move IU back into contention for the Big Ten title and into the NCAA top-five national rankings as we ultimately pursue an NCAA championship,” Looze said.

Dale coached the Golden Gophers to five consecutive top-10 NCAA finishes from 2000-04. His team has placed no lower than fourth in the Big Ten in each of the past 26 seasons. Dale coached more than 100 different All-Americans in the past 20 years.
Minnesota was also home to 48 individual Big Ten title winners during Dale’s tenure.

Before being hired at Minnesota, Dale spent 13 years as head boy’s coach at Burnsville High School.

Dale coached the team to four Minnesota state championships, and was named Coach of the Year in his final four seasons.

“I am excited and thrilled to join Coach Looze and his staff, as well as the Indiana family,” Dale said.