sports women's soccer

Berbary gets 5-year extension

It didn’t take long for IU Athletic Director Fred Glass to commit to IU Coach Amy Berbary.

After leading IU women’s soccer to its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2007, Berbary signed a five-year contract extension running to the end of the 2018 season.

The Hoosiers defeated DePaul in the opening round of the tournament before falling to perennial power North Carolina in the round of 32 in one of the most decorated seasons in program history.

"Amy and her staff did a fantastic job in leading the program to an NCAA Tournament berth, and I am thrilled that she will be the leader of our program for several years to come,” Glass said in a release.

With Berbary at the helm, the Hoosiers went from a team Big Ten coaches expected to finish last in the Big Ten to one of the conference’s best. The team set single-season records in wins (15), goals (3), assists (46) and shutouts (9) en route to earning a No. 4 seed in the Big Ten Tournament.

Berbary wasn’t afraid to tinker with lineups and do whatever it took to win games in 2013. Now she’ll have the opportunity to build IU into the competitive program she envisioned when she signed her initial contract.

“My staff and I are proud to be Hoosiers, and I speak for all of us when I say how proud we are of the current players and their commitment to make the necessary sacrifices that develop a culture of winning,” Berbary said.

“We are thrilled with what we have been able to accomplish in the first 15 months here and look forward to the coming years."

Sam Beishuizen