Student GOP, Dems debate

CAROUSELcaDebate

All 55 audience chairs were full and some attendees were standing around the fringes of the Federal Room in the Indiana Memorial Union Wednesday to hear the College Democrat and Republican Debate.

Four representatives, each from the Indiana College Democrats and the College Republicans at IU, participated in the debate. Each of the representatives spoke about one of four issues during the course of the more than two- hour discussion.

Immigration, education, the minimum wage and the Affordable Care Act were the four topics chosen for the discourse. Questions were taken from the audience throughout the course of the debate.

“I think that people were moderately respectful of one another,” said Margie Hershey, a professor of political science at IU and the moderator of the debate.

College Democrats representative Hillary Anderson said she felt her side won the debate.

“We saw our side being incredibly aggressive and honest in what we were saying about our positions and our policy,” Anderson said.

Republican representative Matt Shute said he felt the debate went well, but that the Republican arguments were more credible.

“I think our side was more based on fact,” Shute said. “Overall it was a good and amicable debate, and I was really impressed with the attendance.”

Representatives from the College Democrats and the College Republicans agreed on the issue of immigration. Of the four topics discussed, immigration was the only issue upon which the two groups agreed.

“On the issue of immigration, they came to our side,” Anderson said. “Problem solved. That’s the Democratic position and I’m glad to see that the Republicans want to come and join us on that.”

Shaw and Republican representative Riley Parr each made closing statements after completing a debate on the minimum wage.

Shaw reviewed each of the four topics discussed and suggested the Republicans offer a solution to Obamacare.

“Instead of voting to repeal the health care system we have now, instead of voting to strip the seven million-plus that just signed up for health care, propose something that’s different,” Shaw said in his closing statements. “

In response, Parr argued that citizens ought to be given a choice in their health care.
“It’s about allowing you to pick the health care plan that you want based on your reasons, not some government bureaucrat,” Parr said.

Parr finished the debate by saying the principle of the Republican Party was to promote individual choice and give opportunities to all Americans.

Shute said this event was a buildup to a larger debate before midterms next semester.
Hershey offered closing comments to finish off the event.

“Let me say in conclusion that we have a lot more in common than we have that separates us.”

An earlier version of this story identified Riley Parr as a Democratic representative.