education

Program works to improve graduation rates

Jobs for America’s Graduates, a national organization that works to keep students in school, has seen an increasing number of members in Indiana.

Since 2013, Gov. Mike Pence said in a tweet, JAG in Indiana has seen the largest growth percentage in the shortest period of time in the history of the organization.

Joseph Frank, spokesperson for the Indiana Department of Workforce Development, said the Indiana chapter of JAG is now the largest chapter in the nation.

JAG provides support services to keep students from dropping out. Frank said students in JAG learn employable skills and get involved with philanthropy work.

Frank said JAG targets the most at-risk students in school and helps them move on to post-secondary education and, eventually, to well-paying jobs.

At-risk students could be students who have discipline problems or who have experienced homelessness, for example.

Jim Koeninger, executive vice president of JAG, said the organization began in Delaware in 1979 and is now found in 31 states. During the 2014-15 school year, Koeninger said, JAG will serve its one-millionth student.

If students are unable to get a high school diploma, Koeninger said, there is a chance they will make less money and their lifestyle will not live up to their expectations.
Society will probably have to support them in different ways because it might be difficult for them to find jobs, he said.

After students graduate from high school, JAG follows them for one year. Koeninger said the program would like to follow students for longer than one year, but it is too expensive.

Forty-four percent of JAG students that graduated high school in 2013 went on to enroll in college.

Koeninger said Indiana has an extensive support system in place that is one of the best in the country.

Frank said the Indiana JAG chapter currently has 91 percent of their students graduate from high school. Nationally, 94 percent of JAG participants graduate from high school.

The Indiana Department of Education recently released 2013 graduation rate data for high schools in Indiana. Statewide, 88.6 percent of students graduated from high school.

In the Monroe County Community School Corporation, 94 percent of high school students graduated.

Indiana has seen success with the JAG program because Pence recognizes the importance of helping young people make good decisions, Koeninger said. He said the leadership in Indiana seems to want to help young people have a good start in their careers.

“We think it’s a wonderful program that gives kids a chance to be successful and graduate regardless of their situation,” Frank said.

JAG started in Indiana in 2006 at just a few Indiana schools. The program now currently services 6,000 students at 106 different programs in every Indiana region.

“It really has blossomed into a great state-wide program,” Frank said.