education

Middle schoolers, SPEA students participate in day of service

Several eighth graders at Tri-North Middle School had the opportunity to volunteer in the Bloomington community Friday.

Students from Tri-North collaborated with the IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs for Global Youth Service Day.

Members of the National Junior Honor Society volunteered to spend part of their day at Big Brothers Big Sisters, Hoosier Hills Food Bank, Backstreet Missions, Bloomington Community Orchard, People and Animal Learning Services, Stone Belt, Head Start, Shalom Community Center and Hilltop Garden and Nature Center.

The Indiana Daily Student followed a group of students who volunteered at Backstreet Missions.

“Backstreet Missions, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to serving the homeless and those with spiritual and physical needs, reaching out to people where they are, extending Christ’s love in practical ways,” according to its website.

Any man who is homeless can stay at the shelter.

Men in the community can also enroll in the “Abundant Life” program and stay at Backstreet Missions for one year.

These men must help clean and do laundry and relinquish their cell phones and cars. They participate in Bible study and life skills lessons.

The mission also serves Walnut Grove Apartments on the weekends by providing food. The food at the mission comes from community donations.

Sue Payne, who volunteers at Backstreet Missions every Friday, said she thinks it is important for the students to learn to understand the homeless.

“I think they are eager to work,” she said.

Planning for the service event began in November, and it is hoped the partnership will extend to other area middle schools.

Candace Ewing, assistant principal at Tri-North, said SPEA lecturer Alvin Lyons contacted Tri-North and said he wanted Global Youth Service Day to involve more than just high schools.

Sophomore SPEA student Megan Kelly said the Monroe County Youth Council plans these volunteer days for high school students.

Kelly helped plan the service day for Tri-North. She said all the middle schools in Bloomington were contacted, but Tri-North seemed the most enthusiastic.

Before embarking on the projects, the students organized donation drives at Tri-North to get items for some of the projects, for Stepping Stones and the Homeward Bound 5K Walk.

The school raised more than $200 to buy personal items for Shalom Community Center.

Twelve students volunteered at the mission. The students helped by cleaning tables and making food. They shucked corn, cut potatoes and made sandwiches.

Ewing said service is a good way to build character.

“When you start thinking about service, it really builds your character for leadership,” Ewing said.

Ewing said a celebration was planned at Tri-North for after the projects were completed, and each group was going to talk about their experience.

She said the project can help the kids realize it takes a community to make the world a better place.

Gretchen Nall was a chaperone for the group. Her daughter, Ruth, helped cut potatoes.
Nall said she thinks it’s important for these children to understand how little some people have.

She said her family volunteers a lot but said some children don’t have the
opportunity.

A project like this might instill in them a lifelong commitment to service, Nall said.
At 11 a.m., lunch was served, and some of the Tri-North students helped serve the food.

Tri-North student Grace Williams said she liked participating in the project.

“It’s fun helping people,” she said. “It’s a fun experience.”

Fellow student Audrey Schmalz said she thinks it’s good they have the opportunity to lend a hand in the community.

“I think it’s really great that we got to help out these people,” she said.