student life

Graduate student Appreciation Week events to conclude during weekend

The annual Grad Appreciation Week will conclude with today’s Grad Bash and a group outing to the opera Saturday.

The Graduate Professional Student Organization, the graduate student government, sponsors this week of events every year to celebrate graduate and professional students’ accomplishments.   

“This is for all the hard work they do all year long,” GPSO Programming Coordinator Kevin Miescke said.

“It’s a nice time to be able to relax and take a breather before the push to finals.”
Today, there will be a Grad Bash from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Root Cellar Lounge, which Miescke said is typically the most popular event of the week.  

Live music, drinks and free food provided by Farm Bloomington will be
included.

On Saturday, the GPSO will sponsor a trip to the opera to see “La Traviata” from 7 to 10:30 p.m in the IU Musical Arts Center.

“La Traviata,” translated from Italian to English as “The Fallen Woman,” is a three-act opera written by Giuseppe Verde. It focuses on the story of Violetta Valéry, a dying courtesan.

Student tickets are $10, and interested graduate or professional students should email GPSO to reserve a ticket.

So far, the week has included a Martini Monday, a Grad House Café and a viewing of American Hustle.

The week has been a success so far, Miescke said, with close to 100 students attending.

He said he hopes to see about 400 students by the end of the week.  
The goal is to provide a way for graduate students from different schools and backgrounds to network, he said.

“We’re trying to appeal to as many people as possible,” Miescke said. “Our goal with these events is to really try to break down the barriers between programs and schools and offer a variety of events.”

Dani Castonzo