'800 lb. Gorilla' to perform

CAROUSELentGorilla

Daniel Humphrey has played guitar since he was 7 years old. He said his father was a guitar player and once his parents bought him a guitar, the rest was history.

The two brothers, Mark and Daniel Humphrey, started the jam rock band 800 lb. Gorilla in 2007.

They will play at Players Pub today at midnight. The cover charge is $5.

Initially, the band was a three-piece when they formed in 2007. One year ago, Brian Carson and Kwame Newton from the Lonely Women joined 800 lb. Gorilla, making them a four-piece.

Once the band made this addition, Mark Humphrey said it found its style.  

“Since Brian and Kwame joined the band, our direction has gone more toward jam band,” Humphrey said. “Lately, we have really been working the other two members into the equation.”

The band is based in Bloomington, but they tour around Indiana. They have also released a self-titled debut album, “800 lb. Gorilla.”

One ambition of the band is to release a new album with Carson and Newton, who did not perform on the debut album. Humphrey said they are currently working on recording the new album.

“We will probably have something to put in people’s hands by the summer,” he said.
Both Humphrey and his brother Daniel have played as paid musicians since they were in middle school.

Carson, a sophomore at IU majoring in arts management and current percussionist for 800 lb. Gorilla, recollected how he met Mark and Daniel Humphrey.

He said he saw 800 lb. Gorilla perform at Rhino’s Youth Center and was impressed with its show.

“A couple weeks later, I was on Craigslist and saw their ad,” Carson said.

He responded to the band’s ad for a drummer and later brought Newton into the band with him.

“Kwame is really great at incorporating organ sounds and sax,” Humphrey said. “The band is just working out really great for us.”

Carson credits house shows for rising popularity of the band in Bloomington. However, he said the band still has its best audience responses from Players Pub, where it frequently plays.

In addition to Players Pub, Carson said the band also enjoys playing at the Bluebird Nightclub.

“We are trying to play Bloomington more now,” Carson said.

Humphrey said the Bloomington community has been a very helpful and friendly place for his band to develop.

“Bloomington has been a really great place to have a base,” Humphrey said. “And we have been able to branch out of it as a band and travel.”