academics & research

Maurer Law School, Rose-Hulman partner to create scholarships

The IU Maurer School of Law and the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute are partnering to create a new scholarship program for engineering students interested in studying intellectual property law.

The aim of the scholarship is to reduce the cost of tuition for law school for a three-year degree by about $45,000 to $75,000, depending on several factors.

The program, known as the Rose-Hulman Intellectual Property Law Scholars Program, will offer the scholarship to two or more Rose-Hulman graduates who intend to study at the Maurer School of Law.

The money offered will amount to 50 percent of the students’ annual tuition.

“Intellectual property law is one of the fastest-growing areas of the profession,” Austen Parrish, dean and James H. Rudy Professor of Law at the Maurer School of Law, said in a press release.

“We have one of the strongest intellectual property law programs in the nation and are delighted to join forces with one of the country’s leading engineering schools in finding pathways for talented students to advance their professional interests.”

Richard Stamper, dean of faculty and professor of engineering management and mechanical engineering at Rose-Hulman, said in the release the scholarship program will give students the chance to acquire knowledge that will help them contribute to a technology-driven society.

The program will begin fall 2014, and the first round of scholarship recipients will be nominated by Rose-Hulman.

Michael Morris has been a student at both schools and is now an associate at the intellectual property law firm Woodard, Emhardt, Moriarty, McNett & Henry in Indianapolis.

“At Rose-Hulman, I learned the technical knowledge and problem-solving skills necessary to be an engineer,” Morris said. “The Maurer School of Law helped me gain a strong foundation in patent law so that I may apply my engineering background in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications.”

Morris said his degrees from both schools have helped to establish his career as a patent lawyer.

“I know that future scholarship recipients will experience similar benefits from both schools’ programs,” he said.

Anicka Slachta