IUSA discusses election at town hall

CAROUSELcaIUSA

IUSA presidential candidate Andy Braden told students at the IUSA town hall meeting Tuesday that something about IUSA needs to change.

Despite PLUS for IUSA running unopposed this election season, voting will still take place and PLUS is still required to run a campaign, which included the town hall meeting in the Whittenberger Auditorium.

“It’s not healthy for IUSA to have just one ticket running,” he said.

The town hall served as an opportunity for the candidates to clarify their platform and address questions from the student body.

Braden said PLUS hopes to increase interaction with the general student body.

“We’re your student government and if students aren’t becoming involved in student government, what is student government?” he said.

PLUS plans on increasing involvement by, in addition to standard office hours, making trips to different locations across campus once every two weeks to show students its government is willing to come to them.

Michelle Chung, candidate for vice president of administration, said safety will also be a large part of PLUS’s efforts when it takes office.

“We have found that the blue light system is inefficient,” she said.

Chung said PLUS has plans to develop a safety app students can turn on during their walks home.

In addition, there are plans to increase recycling programs on campus.

She said a representative from IU Sustainability said adding individual recycling bins to all dorms would greatly improve recycling.

Chung said only Briscoe Quad, Rose Hall and the newly renovated areas in Union Street have individual recycling bins in dorms.

“One of the things we try to do with our platforms is directly acknowledge
problems,” Braden said.

Will Wartenberg, candidate for vice president of congress, said he plans to work with IUSA Congress more when PLUS takes office.

“They are just as powerful as the executive branch just like the United States of America,” he said.

PLUS ended the town hall by encouraging students to reach out if they have questions or concerns.

“IUSA can be a great thing,” Braden said. “IUSA has been a great thing in the past.”