student life

Hillel plans annual competition

After months of advising contestants on song selection and evaluating which outfit looks best on stage, Amanda Hammerman will finally see the results of her efforts.
IU Hillel’s 10th Campus Superstar competition will hold its semi-finals at 5 p.m. Sunday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

The event is free and open to the public to watch the remaining 30 contestants compete in the finals for a chance to win $5,000.

Hammerman, an IU student and executive director of Campus Superstar, said she believes this year’s competition is a step up from years past.

“From last year to this year, the talent has been even better,” Hammerman said. “The way we did the audition marketing this year was really targeted on the music buildings, Neal-Marshall and we also told the Singing Hoosiers.”

Any college student in Indiana is able to participate in Campus Superstar. The only requirements are singing in a cappella and making a $5 donation to IUHillel.

On Sunday, semi-finalists will sing 90 seconds of a song of their choice.

Competitors had to submit background music two weeks ago.

The event serves as the largest fundraiser for IU Hillel, bringing in more than $50,000 in revenue.

After the production costs of about $20,000, IU Hillel will end up with a net profit of about $30,000 from the event, Campus Superstar representative Phillip Silberberg said. 

The money is an addition to IU Hillel’s $600,000 annual budget.

“Hillel provides a home away from home for many students,” Silberberg said. “We provide free Shabbat meals and assist around 20 different clubs with diverse programming.”

The show is organized by IU Hillel students to help them gain experience planning a major event, Silberberg said.

“The student organizers do really do the show,” Hammerman said. “They work auditions, take photos, write scripts — they just do everything.”

Previous winners include students aspiring for full-time music careers. The first winner of the competition, Stephani Parker, went on to win Chicago Idol.

Her prize was a recording session with Kanye West.

The show will feature college students from across Indiana, from which only 10 will advance to the final round April 13 in Indianapolis.

Three judges will choose nine of the finalists, and the audience will vote for the 10th finalist.

Junior Tess Angermeier will compete this Sunday with the song “Animal” by Neon Trees.

She said she feels a mix of nerves and excitement as the weekend approaches.

“It’s a good kind of nervousness and excitement,” Angermeier said.

“I’m excited because my friends and family are coming, and because I get to listen and hear the other 24 contestants who I’m sure are awesome.”

Angermeier said she hopes to someday work in the music industry, and that this will give her experience and help her get her name out.

“As a performer, it’s always good experience to get on stage and get your name out there,” Angermeier said. “Whether I move on or not, it’ll be a good experience for me and I won’t have any regrets.”

If she advances and eventually wins the competition, Angermeier said she hopes to use the money to promote herself even more.

She said she wants to play more shows in Bloomington in addition to the performances she’s already given at Starbucks, Buffa Louie’s and Dunnkirk.
She encouraged students to attend and enjoy listening to the talented performers.

“Students should really come because a lot of people tried out and there’s going to be so much talent,” Angermeier said. “I’m still very confident, but the caliber of vocal quality is going to be really amazing. It’s a great chance to check out all the contestants for free.”