arts performances

Bell performing at Comedy Attic

CAROUSELentComedyAttic

W. Kamau Bell will perform at 7 tonight at the Comedy Attic as part of his national tour, “Oh, Everything!”

Bell is a socio-political comedian who started out as a stand-up comedian and had a comedy series on FX titled “Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell.”  

“I’ve been a stand-up comic for a long time, and this is the stuff I’ve been working on for a long time,” Bell said.

The show will contain pop culture and political references.

Bell’s inspiration comes from things he sees on the Internet, frustration and his daughter, he said.

If what he sees evokes emotion, such as frustration, then it will become material for his performance.

Bell said he started to develop a show when he lived in San Francisco. But even as a child, he wanted to be a comedian.

“When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a stand-up comic once I realized I couldn’t be a superhero,” he said. “I’m an only child and think I’m interesting.”

As he developed his voice, Bell said he encountered a tough time in the places he performed.

“Ultimately, when you’re a comedian, you need to figure out how to be funny, and that is an internal obstacle,” he said. “It’s all about finding your voice. In the comedy clubs,
I got frustrated because I wanted to focus on race and current events, but the people in the clubs got tired of that after 10 minutes.”

Eventually, Bell said he knew he had to move on to a venue where his show would encounter an audience that enjoyed his material. He stopped performing at
comedy clubs and was later discovered by Chris Rock.

“Chris Rock is how I became a prominent person in comedy,” Bell said.
Nonetheless, he said he characterizes himself as only a semi-prominent man in comedy.

Race is a popular topic in Bell’s performances, and he has overcome obstacles associated with race.

“Because I’m in America, I have the obstacle of being black,” Bell said. “In America, if you’re not a straight white guy over six feet tall, then you have obstacles to overcome. I am over six feet tall and straight, but I am black.”

He said his audience is what he loves most about being a stand-up comedian.

“I like getting to meet people and perform for people who are excited to see me,” Bell said. “I like being able to connect with people. I like people who like me. I’m weird like that.”

After every show, he said he enjoys talking to the audience.

“The intimacy of live performance is the best part,” he said.

Bell said he is happy to be in Bloomington performing for the audience that was a fan of his TV show.

He said in order to make it as a comedian, you have to continue to perform and persevere.

“If you don’t quit, you stand a better chance of success.” Bell said. “So don’t quit.”