crime & courts

Suspect in CVS robbery arrested

On Monday, the Third Monroe Circuit Court charged a 17-year-old boy with the armed robbery of CVS on Feb. 16 in Bloomington after the Avon Police Department arrested him last week in Hendricks County on a separate charge.

Two men robbed the CVS Pharmacy at 2650 S. Walnut St. on Feb. 16 with one of the men pointing a handgun at a cashier. The two men stole cash and cigarettes.

Philip Dida John Jacob arrived in Avon on Feb. 20 after taking a cab from Bloomington.
The taxi cab was heading east on East State Road 36 in Avon when Jacob attempted to rob the taxi driver at gunpoint.

“He pulled what appeared to be a gun on the taxi driver and demanded he give him all his money,” said Jack Miller, chief of police at Avon Police Department.

The taxi driver saw an Avon police cruiser in his rearview mirror and pulled over abruptly.

The driver waved down the police officer as Jacob escaped on foot into a nearby trailer park.

Jacob tried to hide underneath a trailer in the Avon Village trailer park at 79 Avon Village Dr., Miller said.

Police officers released a K-9 unit to pull Jacob out after he refused to surrender himself.

Jacob suffered a minor wound, a small puncture to his arm.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Jacob was in the Hendricks County Jail facing a preliminary charge of robbery, a class B felony.

His appeal bond is set at $75,000, meaning Jacob can only be released by a bail bondsman appearing before a judge in court.

“Unless he is waived to adult court the only charge he will be facing as a juvenile will be juvenile delinquency,” Miller said.

Initial Hendricks Circuit Court charges on Feb. 20 included criminal confinement, a class B felony; theft, a class B felony; and resisting law enforcement, a class A misdemeanor.

Jacob will be tried as an adult.

Even if Jacob were to be bonded out of jail, he still faces charges of robbery in Monroe County and an arrest warrant issued through the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department.

Dennis Barbosa