Music does a Hoosier good

We Say: Indiana should invest in musical education

In such a jaded world, the Editorial Board is glad to take whatever good news it can find.

Consider Indiana Senate Bill 276, which plans to introduce an amendment to the Indiana Code to change standards of core curriculum from requiring “Fine arts, including music and art”, to “Fine arts, including art and music, including music
ensembles”.

We support this change as it specifically delineates the inclusion of music ensembles. Whereas the previous text was rather ambiguous — not requiring the use of music ensembles like choirs, bands or orchestras — we believe active participation in music complements education well.

If passed, SB 276 will amend the Indiana State Code section 20-30-5, which is the mandatory curriculum required by the State of Indiana for all schools within the state.
As a result, schools would be compelled to offer or require participation in performing ensembles. The link between music and educational development by now is common knowledge, and playing an instrument or learning how to sing can deliver tangible
benefits to students.

Not that this should be the sole reason for learning about music, as it is a key part of our culture and our history. But there is nothing wrong with promoting music, even if Indianapolis wishes to see an improvement in test scores because of this change.
There are problems with this top-down approach, however. Not all districts in Indiana have the ability or student enrollment to justify having an orchestra, a choir or a band, and not providing additional funding could prove prohibitive for those schools.

Additionally, there are concerns about certain students feeling left out and behind those who have natural talents for music.   

However, we hold that these criticisms are severely misguided. Though a traditional choir or orchestra may be difficult for a small school, non-traditional ensembles or chamber groups could provide distinct experiences that would not be possible with a
larger ensemble.

As to the question of the inherent segregation based on skill that ensembles promote, we believe that this is no different than the inherent separation in athletic ability in sports.

There are freshman, junior varsity and varsity teams in high school for a reason — to provide much more specific instruction tailored to the aggregate skill level of the group as a whole. This scheme also allows for a sense of advancement and progression as the athlete advances to the top level.

The same principle applies to music ensembles. Basic skills are taught to the lower orchestras, while the repertoire and skills taught increase as the player moves up to more advanced ensembles.

Far from being exclusionary, these different ensembles can prove motivating for those that want to pursue their chosen discipline.

Though there are some flaws in the approach, the Editorial Board applauds SB 276 as a positive step towards improving Indiana’s schools and creating well-rounded students versed in an expansive curriculum.

In an age where the arts seem to be increasingly under fire, this is welcome news indeed.

­opinion@idsnews.com
@ids_opinion