student life

Intramural battleship competition ends Sunday

CAROUSELcaIntramuralBattleship

Strategy, strength and Super Soakers came into play as IU Recreational Sports’ second-annual intramural Battleship tournament came to an end this weekend. 

The four-day event spanned two weekends, beginning Feb. 8 and ending Sunday.

The competition consisted of teams of four getting in canoes and battling to survive, outlast and attack opponents by splashing water into the opponents’ boats.

Teams were equipped with a set of paddles, two buckets and a mat shield. Super Soakers were permitted, but not provided.

At the sound of the whistle, the teams took on a free-for-all approach, with the objective to sink the competition. 

The winning team from each round was awarded T-shirts.

“This is different from last year,” said Chris Carr, graduate assistant for intramural sports. “We no longer have playoffs because we found teams were too tired to come back for a championship round.” 

Collegiate intramural battleship has been up-and-coming, gaining popularity around the
country, Carr said.

“A lot of intramural sports are naturally competitive, like basketball, for instance,” Carr said. “With Battleship, there’s still a winner, but it’s more about having fun.” 

Some teams had coordinating T-shirts, matching bandanas and sailor or pirate wear.

Up to nine teams were allowed in the pool per round.

The day was broken into four competitions, beginning consecutively at 11:30 a.m.,
1:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.

During each hour-and-a-half segment, teams battled to be the last floating boat, thereby accumulating the lowest number of points.

Teams were given a number corresponding to the order they were sunk in each match.

In a full round, the first sunken canoe is given nine points, while the last team in the pool receives one point, Carr said.

SRSC sport supervisors used discretion in reducing the “battle zone” once teams were eliminated.

“We want there to be as much action as possible,” intramural supervisor Meaghan
O’Connor said. “If not a lot is happening, we reduce the playing space to make sure there is constant craziness.”

Penalties included ramming into or grabbing onto other boats, using opponents’ equipment and removing water from within the team’s boat.

Punishment included added water to the offending teams’ canoes. 

This year’s competition involved more boats in the pool at the same time to add more splashing and more chaos, Carr said.

Seniors Amy Longfellow and Kate Miller, part of team “Burros Love Churros,” were back for their second try at the competition. 

“We did it last year because it just sounded weird and fun,” Longfellow said. “We do a lot of intramural sports with the same team.”

As for battleship, Longfellow and Miller said they find division of labor to be the most effective strategy.

Carr said the live-action Battleship is quite different from the board game, and the most important strategy is to not sink.

Follow reporter Jill Ranegar on Twitter @JillRanegar.