Column: NYFW according to Emily

I tweeted an invitation for a road trip with me this week, but only got favorited. So, I’m spending New York Fashion Week in Chicago.

Lucky for us, however, I spoke to Emily Farra, editorial coordinator at STYLE.COM and former Indiana Daily Student fashion columnist. I not only miss her dearly, but it’s wonderfully handy that she’s now on the inside of this fashion-fierce world.

As one of my personal fashion icons, I vouch for Emily’s picks. Though my fashion-stalking skills may be impeccable, you can’t beat an insider. So this week I’m taking Emily’s word on #NYFW and profiling her favorites for you to watch out for — but don’t forget to tweet me yours.

I quote from Emily,

“I am really excited to see ...”

@ALTUZARRASTUDIO
The concept behind Altuzarra is based around the modern woman. It’s strong and confident, and I’m obsessed. Its claim is to help sophisticated women feel seductive. The inspiration for Fall 2014 seems tailored for confidence. It has the traditional prep influence of trench coats and striped ties with a modern elegance of tailored collars in sleek black. It’s a duality I can’t wait to see.

@DELPOZOofficial
Delpozo is delicate. Often fashioned in floral patterns of silk, the softness is only enhanced with facets of bright colors. So, with infamously dark fall winter lines, it will be refreshing to see a dab of color among the drab. Look to see Delpozo be the only place flowers bloom amidst the cold. Also, catch their beautiful video archives on their site.  

@THEROW
My childhood self is bubbling with excitement to see the names behind this line. Let me state Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have matured in the sleekest of ways. Though branded with the words relaxed and timeless elegance, the range of ready-to-wear, eyewear and handbags have a prominent edge to their otherwise simplistic designs. It makes sense as the 2006 line began with ideas for a simple white T-shirt and evolved into a line of leather goods and a Fall 2013 presentation of strong collared shirts mixed boxed blazers of slick black. Their Resort 2014 collection reaches out a bit more, even dabbling in leathers of pale yellow. The twins have described it themselves as “defined minimal luxury that is wearable.” I support that. It’s a line I will definitely be following.

@proenzaschouler
There might be controversy as the usual NYFW host Lincoln Center has decided to expand from Upper East Side studios to Brooklyn, but you can tell New York line Proenza Schouler is at home no matter the venue. It’s a newer line started in 2002 by designers Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez, but it’s anything but amateur as the brand has won five Council of Fashion Designers of America awards. Its simplistic patterns with strong bases give it an urban decadence that is bold but not loud. I’m interested to know your opinions. Tweet me.  

“And of course @MarcJacobsIntl!”
“Of course” hints that watching out for Marc Jacobs is obvious, and I agree. Last winter we saw indigo, marigold and purpled burgundy line his runway. This year, urban caps with classic pinstripes are something GQ previewed for gentlemen. But his live show is highly anticipated for reason, and just as Emily suggests, you’d be smart not to miss.

So this week, be a follower. Follow the designers, follow me and, of course, follow our inside girl Emily Farra @emilyfarra.

Follow columnist Kel Collisi on Twitter @kelcollisi.