politics

Bills to watch: Education standards and providing firearms to felons

SB 91: Education standards

This bill would add a definition of “college and career readiness” to the state’s education standards.

It requires that the educational standards adopted before July 1, 2014, will “prepare Indiana students for college and career success, including the proper preparation for nationally recognized college entrance exams such as the ACT and SAT.”

The definition of college and career readiness is described in the bill as the standards that a high school graduate must meet to obtain the necessary knowledge and skills to allow the student to transition without remediation to postsecondary education and ultimately into a sustainable career.\

Status: After passing the Senate 36-12, the House of Representatives referred it to the education committee after first reading. The committee hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.

Authors: Sen. Scott Schneider, R-Indianapolis; Sen. Dennis Kruse, R-Auburn

Sponsors: Rep. Jeffrey Thompson, R-Lizton; Rep. Rhonda Rhoads, R-Corydon

SB 169: Providing firearms to a felon

This bill would make it a level 5 felony to give someone a firearm if the provider knows that person is legally ineligible from possessing a firearm or intends to use the firearm to commit a crime.

It increases the penalty to a level 2 felony if the person uses the firearm to commit murder.

The bill also makes theft of a firearm a felony.

Status: After passing the Senate 43-5, the House of Representatives referred it to the courts and criminal code committee after first reading.

Authors: Sen. R. Michael Young, R-Indianapolis; Sen. James Merritt, R-Indianapolis; Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford; Sen. James Arnold, D-LaPorte

Sponsors: Rep. Jud McMillin, R-Brookville; Rep. Gregory Steuerwald, R-Avon; Rep. David Frizzell, R-Indianapolis; Rep. Jim Lucas, R-Seymour; Rep. Justin Moed, D-Indianapolis

— Rebecca Kimberly