sports women's basketball

Wisconsin wins rebound battle against IU in final minutes

Earlier this week, IU Coach Curt Miller emphasized the importance of winning the rebounding battle against Wisconsin.

In the end, it was poor rebounding that doomed the Hoosiers in their 65-60 loss to the Badgers.

Wisconsin junior forward Jacki Gulczynski gave IU’s post players fits, finishing with 23 points and 13 rebounds.

The four IU post players who played Wednesday night — seniors Milika Taufa, Sasha Chaplin, Tabitha Gerardot and Simone Deloach — combined for 26 points and 16
rebounds.

Miller complimented Gulcyznski’s game.

“She really did a nice job, not only rebounding but blocking shots and being a defensive presence also,” Miller said. “Gulczynski was the difference in the game.”
Miller said she has played well in the conference season after a sub-par performance in the non-conference season.

“Jacki is a stretch four for Wisconsin and got loose from the 3-point line against us and made some big shots, some difficult shots,” he said.

With two minutes and 34 seconds remaining in regulation, freshman guard Larryn Brooks hit a runner to give the Hoosiers a 55-53 lead.

Wisconsin junior forward Michala Johnson then drew a foul on IU freshman guard Taylor Agler to give the Badgers a chance to tie.

Johnson missed her second free throw, but gave the Badgers the lead for good on a layup.  

That wouldn’t have been possible without an offensive rebound on the miss by
Gulcyznski.

After Wisconsin took a 56-55 lead on that offensive series, IU only managed to grab two rebounds during the final two minutes of the game.

During those two minutes, the Hoosiers were out-rebounded four to two.
Coming into Wednesday night’s game, IU was holding its opponents to 24.8 percent shooting from the perimeter.

The Hoosiers struggled from the perimeter, not only from the defensive side of the ball, but the offensive side as well.  

IU allowed the Badgers to shoot 31.8 percent from 3-point range.
Though the Hoosiers kept the Badgers below their season average of 33.6 percent, it
still caused problems.

Individually, Gulczynski shot 57.1 percent.

“You gotta credit the kid for stepping up and staying confident at the arc,” Miller said. “Hats off to Gulczynski.”

The best individual performance from the perimeter for the Hoosiers came from senior forward Tabitha Gerardot, who made her only 3-point attempt of the night.

The rest of the team, however, shot a combined 2-18 from 3-point range.

IU’s season average before the game was 35.7 percent — fourth in the Big Ten.

“It’s not always easy to make shots in this league,” Miller said. “So the shooting percentage is going to haunt us.”

Miller said the 3-pointer normally energizes the offense.

“The 3-ball is a staple of our offense,” he said. “Therefore, we had to go a lot by twos.”

Miller said the shot-blocking ability the Badgers’ power forward had length in the center position, which made it difficult to make field goals inside the 3-point line.

Not being able to make 3-pointers made it difficult for the offense.

“There were stretches tonight where we executed and stretches where we didn’t make enough shots,” Miller said.

Follow reporter Stuart Jackson on Twitter @Stuart_Jackson1.