Sundance pick: God help the girl and the trend of tacky

David Hurst said his biggest regret of Sundance was not bringing his Crocs.
I wouldn’t call his bluff.

Although the IU senior screenwriting and script analysis major looks simply spiffy when dolled up, he’s infamous for his Crocs.

This week, Hurst opted for Timberland boots.

After all, this year’s festival is the snowy ski town of Park City, Utah.

Hurst said the town reminds him of a college town ­— sleepy until it explodes with the influx of Los Angeles and New York residents coming for the anticipated schedule of premieres.

He described the out-of-town fashion as a surprising mix of neon green and pink hair with the expected over-occurrence of little black dresses.

Onscreen, costume designers have presented an even more diverse wardrobe to adorn the endless plots of this year’s lineup.

Last year, my Chic of the Week pick was Bic Owen’s Big Sur, which gave 1960s hues of blue an emotional depth with the tale of Jack Kerouac’s breakdown.

This year, I wanted to write the fashion of kick ass with one of Sundance’s most anticipated releases, “The Raid 2: Berandal.”

However, the wardrobe was underwhelming and the only lasting impression was the shock of how the film’s real-life stuntmen can move that well in leather.

Stuart Murdoch’s “God Help the Girl” had a tacky vintage vogueness that seemed to refuse to be refused.

It’s this year’s Chic of the Week’s Sundance fashion film pick.

The film is Murdoch’s first feature and has been a pet project of his for more than 10 years.

Its festival blurb claims three quirky characters in fastidious James, posh Cass and the fantastical Eve.

Spanning one Glasgow summer, the film follows the trio’s trek of starting a band.

It’s a Bohemian, mod musical that is a direct result of writer/director Murdoch’s experience with his indie-rock band Belle and Sebastian.

Though Belle and Sebastian’s style was plagued by 1990s fashion, and not in the good way, there’s a bit more of a technique in “God Help the Girl” with the help of costume designer Denise Coombes.

Roughly put, Coombes is unaccredited in the design world.

Nicely stretched, Coombes can possibly be considered “underground” with her previous work in 2001’s “Strictly Sinatra” and now “God Help the Girl.”

Lucky for us, this makes her wardrobe relatable.

Coombes has had nothing handed to her. You can tell each piece was sought after possibly from some vintage resale shop sales bin.

But what we can see from the result is that careful selections can make statements.

We see all three characters’ strong personalities portrayed with pieces like mixed plaids, berets, vintage grey box suits, cheetah blouses, ties and thick-framed glasses.

It’s tacky. It’s quirky. But it somehow works.

Consider GQ’s “Guide to Suits.” We see a return of plaid ties, cuffed pants, boxed grey jackets.

For ladies, we see brighter lipsticks, track-line styled pants and collarless oversized coats.

It’s all a little tacky. But when you’re bold enough to put it on, you will be surprised to find you pull it off.

Even Crocs sort of work with Hurst, though that’s a very specific exception.

And though it may have taken “God Help the Girl” 10 years to get it right, I think you should start now, whether you’re pulling from couture or vintage racks.

So catch the film, catch the quirky vibes and happy Sundancing.

Follow columnist Kel Collisi on Twitter @kelcollisi.