administration

Hutton Honors College plays host to final three candidates for deanship

The search for a new dean will come to an end soon for the IU Hutton Honors College.

The Hutton Honors College is a renowned honors program at IU.

According to its mission statement, which can be found on its website, it consists of “diverse, talented and highly motivated students whose presence on campus serves to enhance the education of all undergraduates.”  

Three finalists for the deanship will present their plans for how they will lead the college, each during their own town hall meeting. The meetings will take place during the next two weeks in the HHC Great Room.

After the candidates’ presentations, there will be a reception and chance to meet with them for informal discussion.

The first presentation will feature Maria Bucur from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Jan. 29.

Bucur is currently the associate dean for the College of Arts and Sciences and a professor in the Department of History and Philosophy of Science.  

Andrea Ciccarelli, chair for the Department of French and Italian, will present during the second meeting from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Jan. 30.

HHC interim dean Friz Breithaupt, who has occupied the position since July, will lead the last meeting.

It will take place from 3:30 to 5 p.m. Feb. 5.

Breithaupt is also a professor in Germanic Studies at IU, directs the West European
Studies Institute and co-founded the European Union Center at IU.

He succeeded Matthew Auer, who was the HHC dean from 2008 to 2013.

Last summer, Auer went to Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, to accept the job as dean of the faculty and vice president of academic affairs.

Attendees of the upcoming meetings will be given electronic surveys in which they can share their thoughts about the night’s candidate with the search committee.

Dennis Groth, who chairs the committee, said it hopes to deliver a recommendation to Provost Lauren Robel soon after.

— Ashley Jenkins