DJ RL Grime to perform at Bluebird Saturday

Not many people can say they have danced to the sound of a dripping faucet.

But when Henry Steinway — also known as DJ RL Grime — heard dripping water, he managed to turn it into part of a popular trap soundtrack, fellow DJ and IU graduate Jake Marsh said.

Based in Los Angeles, Calif., Steinway will perform at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Bluebird Nightclub.

Tickets are $20. Doors open at 8 p.m.
Steinway produces trap music, which Marsh described as electronic infused with hip-hop.

“Trap is pretty much the new dubstep,” Marsh said. “It’s gained quite a lot of momentum in the past few years.” 

Since dubstep died off because of over-saturation, trap music faces the potential of meeting a similar fate, Marsh said.

Steinway gained popularity after developing a track with his producer Salva based on the song “Mercy” by Kanye West.

“It lit the Internet on fire,” Marsh said.

Following that success, Steinway spent the summer of 2013 performing live and gaining even more popularity.

His EP, “High Beams,” debuted at No. 8 on Billboard’s Dance/Electronic albums and No. 1 on iTunes Electronic charts, Marsh said.

Marsh, who will be performing with Steinway on Saturday as the Dub Knight, said he has worked with Keepin’ It Deep, an Indianapolis-based club promotion company, before.

Keepin’ It Deep has worked since 2002 to promote popular electronic dance music like trap.

After getting his start in Bloomington, Marsh met Slater Hogan, who offered him work with the company.

“He asked me if I was willing to join Keepin’ It Deep,” Marsh said. “Slater’s been very supportive.”

Marsh said he and Steinway are good counterparts because of their unique styles.
Steinway provides a darker, more melodic sound and uses a variety of different sound samples that most musicians would never think to use — like the sound of a dripping faucet.

“He is just very creative,” Marsh said. 

Marsh performed in a show with Flosstradamus in April 2013, and he expects the coming show will receive similar attention.

“That place was packed wall to wall,” Marsh said. “This is essentially our sequel to the Flosstradamus show last year.”

Featuring both the Dub Knight and RL Grime, the event will include music from Shy Guy Says and Salva.

This performance will also be the first official party for the Twitter feed “IU Parties,” a page working to bring the party reputation back to IU.

“Without a doubt ... this show is expected to be a lot of fun,” Marsh said. “All signs point to another
sellout.”

Follow reporter Amanda Marino on Twitter @amandanmarino.