sports women's basketball

Women's basketball defeats IUPUI

spIUWBB

INDIANAPOLIS -- When it seemed as if nothing was going their way, senior center Sasha Chaplin and her teammates kept the same message: stay positive.

“We kept talking positive,” Chaplin said. “If someone was struggling, you’d say ‘You got that next time, don’t worry about it.’”

Chaplin finished with eight points and four rebounds as IU defeated IUPUI 51-45 to improve to 11-0, matching last season’s win total.

“Proud that we stayed gutty down the stretch and found ways to win the game, but you’ve gotta give a lot of credit to IUPUI,” IU Coach Curt Miller said. “They got the game they wanted to play.”

Most of IU’s points would come from the paint throughout the game due to the stifling perimeter defense of IUPUI, which caused IU to shoot 23.5 percent (4-for-17) from 3-point range.

The Jaguars also applied pressure away from the 3-point line. Early and often IUPUI was pressing in the backcourt, forcing three turnovers in the first 6 minutes. The Hoosiers committed 13 turnovers in the first half and finished with 19.

IU’s season average coming into the game was 10.8 turnovers per game.

Freshman guard Larryn Brooks said the pressure was unlike anything the team had seen this season.

“That was one of the best defensive teams we’ve played so far,” she said.

IU’s 51 total points was the team’s lowest output of the season.

The Hoosiers finished the game shooting 25 percent (16-for-64) from the field.

Despite her early struggles, Brooks was able to make key plays down the stretch for IU. She led all scorers with 15 points, 10 of them from free throws. 

The Hoosiers were 6-for-6 on free throws in the final two minutes.

“Free throws won us the game tonight,” she said.

IU’s 26 points in the first half was the team’s second lowest first-half total of the season. The Hoosiers’ lowest came against Indiana State with 22.

The Jaguars outrebounded the Hoosiers 46-37, 24 of which were offensive
rebounds.

Miller said those rebounds led to 23 more shot attempts for the Jaguars.

“They destroyed us on the boards and, therefore, got all those extra possessions,” Miller said.

Brooks’ finger roll with six minutes and 25 seconds remaining cut the lead to one at 41-40. She scored what would have been the go-ahead bucket with five minutes and 30 seconds remaining, but the basket did not count because she was called for a charge.

With four minutes and 42 seconds remaining, Jaguars forward Nevena Markovic picked up her fifth foul and was disqualified. Chaplin drew the foul, and her free throws gave IU a 42-41 lead.

After tying the game off a Dee-Dee Bellamy free throw with 4 minutes and 5 seconds remaining, Akilah Sims’ jumper with three minutes and 40 seconds remaining gave the Jaguars a 44-42 lead.

With the Hoosiers leading 47-45, Bellamy missed a go-ahead layup with one minute and 22 seconds remaining. The Jaguars had another chance to tie on a Bellamy jumper with 34 seconds left in regulation, but she missed.

“To our kids’ credit,” Miller said, “they fought and were gutty all the way to the finish line and made just enough plays in the final few minutes to win.”

Follow reporter Stuart Jackson on Twitter @Stuart_Jackson1.