sports volleyball

Volleyball finishes season with a record of 9-22

IU Volleyball

After falling Friday to No. 23 Michigan, the IU volleyball team finished the season on a 10-match losing streak, a 9-22 overall record and a 1-19 record in the Big Ten.

The Hoosiers closed out the year with four straight home matches, falling to Iowa in five sets, No. 6 Nebraska in three sets, No. 20 Purdue in three sets on senior night, and then to Michigan in four sets.

Against Iowa (11-20, 2-18) senior outside hitter Jordan Haverly led the team in kills with 13, senior captain and libero Caitlin Hansen had a team high 22 digs, and freshman setter Megan Tallman had 30 assists.

The match went to five sets (25-16, 25-20, 23-25, 14-25, 15-10), the fifth time the Hoosiers went to five this season, before losing.

Last Saturday, Nebraska (23-6, 16-4) came to Bloomington, where they dispatched IU in three sets (25-22, 25-21, 25-11).

IU was led by Haverly and sophomore middle blocker Awele Nwaeze who each had nine kills. Freshman defensive specialist Taylor Lebo had 11 digs, and Tallman had 17 assists.

On Wednesday, rival Purdue (20-11, 11-9) visited IU on senior night. The Boilermakers won in straight sets (25-17, 25-22, 25-19).

The Hoosiers were led by junior outside hitter Morgan Leach with 12 kills. Hansen had a team high 15 digs, and Tallman had 22 assists.

The last match against Purdue didn’t quite go how the seniors wanted it.

“We really just wanted to go out and play together and have fun and enjoy it in those last matches with the 2013 team,” Haverly said. “We tried to show everybody that we have made improvements in everything. Obviously it didn’t end how we wanted it to, but we went out and fought really hard.”

The season ended with Friday’s loss to Michigan (17-12, 8-12). The Wolverines won (25-23, 22-25, 25-23, 25-20) in a tightly contested match.

IU was led by sophomore outside hitter Amelia Anderson with 17 kills, and was helped by Leach with 13 and Haverly with 11. Hansen led the team in digs with 15, and sophomore setter Katie Gallagher led the team in assists with 29.

The team will not qualify for the NCAA Tournament, but players said they improved from last year.

“Overall we got a lot better as a team,” Haverly said. “We made a lot of strides, it was a tough season, but I think it will make the program better in the future.”

It was also the last time Haverly, Hansen, outside hitter Jade Henderson, and defensive specialist Melanie Hicks will suit up for the Hoosiers.

“I think overall my career here was an amazing one, I had an amazing time,” Haverly said. “Everything that I did I wanted to do for the program. I wouldn’t really change anything; I don’t even think I would change my injury. Being injured made me learn a lot of lessons that I think helped me become a better person and a better player in certain aspects.”

Follow reporter Andrew Vailliencourt on Twitter @AndrewVcourt.