education

Online auction raises funds for education opportunities

For the next two weeks, the Monroe County Community School Corporation will receive help from holiday shoppers.

The second annual online auction for the Foundation of Monroe County Community Schools is currently underway.

The “Reading, Writing & Bidding!” auction started Nov. 25 and will run until Dec. 9.

The auction’s 196 items include a basketball signed by all three Zeller brothers, a stay at French Lick Springs Hotel and a vintage IU lamp from Nick’s English Hut.
The item prices vary from hand-painted, ceramic piggy banks valued at $10 to an all-inclusive family trip to Disney World and Seaworld, valued at $7,100.

Companies from around the area have donated items to the auction, including a membership pass from the  WonderLab museum, pizza from Aver’s and tickets to IU basketball games.

The bidding takes place online at biddingforgood.com.

There have been more than 400 bids placed and $5,000 raised already.
The goal is to raise $15,000.

The money raised will go to education opportunities for all students and teachers in MCCSC. Last year the auction raised more than $10,000.

The FMCCS’s mission statement on its website says it works to provide all students in MCCSC with the tools they need to succeed in their education.

This past year, FMCCS raised more than $76,000 for MCCSC through various grants and scholarships.

“Now is the time to tackle your holiday shopping while knowing you are helping provide the support necessary for your community’s children to thrive in the classroom,” according to the website.

— Stephen Kroll