Booth signs financial aid agreement with IU

For a brief period, it looked as though IU was getting a prominent football
recruit.

While that may be the case at a later date, four-star wide receiver Dominique Booth is still not officially committed to IU.

Booth signed a financial-aid agreement Sunday. The Pike High School prospect is not technically signed onto the team, but his roster spot will be reserved should he choose to enroll in January.

The financial-aid agreement allows Booth to bypass the dead period. Per NCAA rules, the dead period is defined as, “During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.”

The dead period starts today. But there are a few exceptions. The NCAA rule is, “Institutional staff members may have contact with a prospective student-athlete who has been admitted for midyear enrollment, provided the prospective
student-athlete has signed a National Letter of Intent or other offer of admission and/or financial aid to attend the institution and is required to be on campus to attend institutional orientation sessions for all students.”

Booth qualifies under the “financial aid” provision. Therefore, Booth can bypass the dead period and talk with IU coaches.

The 6-foot, 205-pound receiver is also considering Missouri. He is the third best prospect in the state of Indiana, according to the 247 Sports Composite.

— Evan Hoopfer