Best albums of 2013

Modern Vampires of the City

“Modern Vampires of the City” — Vampire Weekend

If there’s any album this year that already feels like a classic, it has to be “Modern Vampires of the City.” It’s simultaneously full of catchy hooks and loaded with ambitious arrangements, such as on the barebones first half of “Hannah Hunt” or the operatic backing vocals on “Ya Hey.”

The biggest improvement to the band comes in the form of Ezra Koenig’s lyrics, which contemplate the passage of time, aging and religious strife. More than anything, “Modern Vampires of the City” is a blast to listen to, with timeless melodies that interlock with modern music trends and ideologies.

“Run The Jewels” — Killer Mike and El-P

Last year’s “R.A.P. Music” was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Killer Mike’s sixth studio album was anchored on every track by El-P’s fast-paced, futuristic production.

“Run The Jewels” is the sound of two experienced rappers doing what they do best: making good music. It’s not groundbreaking, but it’s solid listening and one of the best rap releases of the year.

“Run The Jewels” is the duo’s first official collaboration, and they are riding high.

“Yeezus” — Kanye West

This year, Kanye West broke the rules. “Yeezus” marks the most rebellious period of West’s life to date, with nothing close to a radio-friendly single and intentionally in-your-face production choices.

West makes hip-hop like no one else in the genre, mixing and matching samples and soundscapes to create tracks that are multifaceted and instantly memorable.The electronic production may be new, but there’s a little something for any West fan on “Yeezus.

It may not be as gratifying as “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” but “Yeezus” is bound to be remembered as West’s most extreme album.

“Wheel” — Laura Stevenson

Most of the albums on this list will show up on year-end lists from Pitchfork and Rolling Stone. But you’re unlikely to find the third LP from Long Island singer-songwriter Laura Stevenson on any of these lists.

Her album, full of bombastic indie rock songs and tender ballads, went unfairly overlooked in 2013. But even on a driving rock song like “Eleonora,” Stevenson still finds moments of tenderness.

“Cupid Deluxe” — Blood Orange

Prince better make way for Devonté Hynes. Hynes started his Blood Orange project because of Prince. He wanted to make Prince-inspired pop songs, but he pairs them with melancholy lyrics of love and loss.

Hynes’ second album recorded under the Blood Orange name is full of catchy beats and venomous lyrics. The sexy, sleek soul-pop of “Cupid Deluxe” proves we’ve found our generation’s Prince in Devonté Hynes.