Glass lights up football stadium with fireworks

spFireworks

When he was a kid growing up in Indianapolis near Butler University, he would climb out of his window to the roof of his house and watch fireworks shows sponsored by the university.

That’s how Indiana University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Fred Glass developed his love for pyrotechnics.

“That was always a lot of fun and even as an adult, I enjoy watching the fireworks up near our lake cottage,” Glass said.

Though he acknowledges fireworks are something he has enjoyed since he was a “wee lad,” Glass is quick to mention he had help with the implementation of the pyrotechnics at home games.

Glass and IU Athletics asked Pat Kraft, formerly a Senior Assistant Athletic Director at IU and currently a Deputy Athletic Director at Temple University, for consulting advice to improve the Hoosiers’ gameday experience.

Glass said Kraft really pushed the fireworks option for Memorial Stadium. On any given home game, there could be up to six instances of fireworks at Memorial Stadium.

IU contracts two companies, Ramsey Pyrotechnics and Thomas James Productions, to assist with the fireworks. Ramsey is in charge of the fireworks launched into the air. Thomas James Productions specializes in the smoke and run-on fireworks.

About 20 minutes before kickoff, the first barrage is set off to let the tailgaters know the game is almost underway. The next set is timed to coincide with the singing of the national anthem.

“I really enjoy that they go off when we’re singing about the rocket’s red glare,” Glass said.

The football team’s entrance onto the field is complete with clouds of smoke and the third round of fireworks.

Glass said IU Athletics is now also setting off fireworks before the halftime show ends to let fans know when to return to their seats so they don’t miss the start of the second half.  

“A lot of our fans enjoy the pass-out policy,” Glass said. “They can go out and hang out at halftime and hopefully come back in.”

Glass recalled one gameday when he was at an IU tailgate and fireworks went off during halftime.

“These people were standing around going, ‘What the hell is he doing now shooting these fireworks off randomly?’” he said. “They’re not random because it’s going to be kickoff in 10 minutes.”

Though those fireworks serve a purpose, they’re not the show Glass loves seeing the most.

Glass’ second-favorite fireworks spectacle is the symphony of the IU Marching Hundred playing during the William Tell Overture timeout as fireworks are set off in the background.

“It’s the greatest timeout in college basketball at Assembly Hall,” he said. “I think it’s really translated well there at the end of the third quarter, the ‘Lone Ranger’ theme song. At the end of that, we shoot off the fireworks and show them up on the Jumbotron, which is cool.”

Nothing can top his love for the sights and sounds that come with IU’s victory fireworks and the Hoosier football team singing the school’s fight song with the student section, which Glass said is really what gives him the most pride.

Glass acknowledges though fireworks are fun,  they’re just one piece to the puzzle.

“I don’t think there’s any one silver bullet that makes the games great, so we’re doing a lot of different things,” he said.

Memorial Stadium’s Knothole Park, Jumbotron and the run-ons held before the game are several of the other gameday enhancements IU Athletics has implemented to increase the appeal of Hoosier football Saturdays in Bloomington.

IU Athletics tries to use the fireworks strategically.

“I think it just makes it fun, makes it an event,” Glass said.

While he admits he occasionally worries about the impact of the fireworks when he sees small children closing their eyes and covering their ears, he said kids generally love them.

“They kind of get the blood flowing, they get your attention,” he said. “We’re just doing everything we can to create excitement in and around the stadium to support the
excitement on the field.”

Though the fireworks can improve the gameday experience for IU fans at Memorial Stadium, Glass said the Hoosiers’ performance on the field is what really determines attendance and fan support. 

“Of course, the most important thing is the play on the field and with the way our offense is playing, they’re kind of shooting fireworks of their own,” Glass said. “I’m glad they’re competing with our fireworks for being the most explosive portion of Saturdays at Memorial Stadium.”

Follow reporter Andy Wittry on Twitter @AndyWittryIDS.