Column: Incognito's actions were wrong

Within the past week, new details have surfaced about the Miami Dolphins’ Richie Incognito’s supposed bullying of offensive lineman Johnathan Martin.

Incognito was suspended by the Dolphins on Nov. 4 for alleged misconduct related to the mistreatment of his teammate.

A week before the suspension, Martin left the team to receive help for some emotional issues.

Some wondered why he left during the middle of the season, even after starting a game this season.

What actually happened to him?

Incognito supposedly sent Martin racist and threatening text messages.

CBSSports.com’s Jason La Canfora said he’s seen some of the text messages that Incognito sent and confirmed he used a racial slur.

Incognito also sent threatening texts about how he was going to find Martin’s mother and then kill Martin.

What kind of football player is this?

This isn’t a role model kids should be looking up to.

He shouldn’t be playing football until he does something positive.

Another incident in which Incognito is believed to have affected Martin is when Martin contributed $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas. Some of the Dolphins players went there during the summer.

Incognito didn’t even go on the trip.

Martin didn’t really want to give up the money, but in the end he did. An unidentified source told ESPN that Martin just handed over the money, not wanting to go on the trip, as Martin was, “fearing the consequences if he did not hand over the money.”

In the next few weeks we will probably learn more of Incognito’s abuses.

Most people understand that younger players need to get toughened up, but this is not toughening up.

This is bullying.

Typically a young player will go through some sort of hazing when they first get in the NFL.

Normally it only lasts during their rookie season.

The rookies might have to sing in front of all their teammates or sport an embarrassing haircut, like Tim Tebow did in 2010 while with the Denver Broncos.

Martin is now in his second year.

Also, it is thought that the coaches told Incognito to toughen Martin up.

Martin’s teammates should’ve stopped this before it actually got to this to level.
Martin is a young football player who was subjected to harsh, unfair treatment.

The NFL Players Association is doing an investigation, as they are trying to get to the bottom of this.

This investigation is supposed to take some time, as there is still a lot of information that is yet to come out.

Hopefully, justice will get served in due time.

— jayljohn@indiana.edu