Column: Hoosiers look to make national statement

The difference one year can make is astronomical.

And that may not even be a sufficient description of the circumstances facing IU Coach Tom Crean and his undefeated Hoosiers as they travel to New York City for the 2K Sports Classic at Madison Square Garden.

One year ago at this time, then-No. 1 IU ventured to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., for the Progressive Legends Classic searching for validation as the nation’s top-ranked team. It was the first appearance on the national stage for the eventual Big Ten regular season champions.

But this time around, a youthful, inexperienced team leaves the comforts of Assembly Hall for the first time, headed to the “Mecca of Basketball” wishing to prove itself as a legitimate top 25 team in front of a national audience.

That task begins with a showdown against Washington tonight at 9 p.m.

The Huskies (2-1), led by Coach Lorenzo Romar, are off to a blazing start in a literal sense, averaging 84 points per game during their first three games of the regular season.

Such a fast pace, while typically what Crean desires, may be a worrisome aspect for the Hoosiers defensively.

“It’s all about transition defense,” Crean said. “It’s going to be a tournament of depth because every team has numerous players, but the depth is only as good as the consistency. ... Whenever you go in, you have to understand that the number one premise is that we have to get back.”

It’s a fundamental aspect that young teams often struggle with, as the Hoosiers have during their first four regular season games, all victories.

After being burned in transition against Chicago State, sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell was quick to address the concern.

“We’re really athletic, but we have to do a better job of getting back on defense,” Hollowell said Nov. 8. “The biggest thing coming from this game is that we have to get back on defense.”

Because the Huskies have made their desire to push tempo no secret, the Hoosiers could end up playing a game in which their athleticism allows them to play to their core offensive philosophy.

Regardless of the game’s dynamics, IU understands that the trip isn’t just fun and games. It’s a business trip, one the Hoosiers are set on returning with their undefeated record intact.

“Yeah, especially as an away game, I’m always looking at it as a business trip,” sophomore point guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell said. “We’re gonna have our fun and whatever, but when we get out there, we have to do everything we can to win.”

­— ckillore@indiana.edu