Pay our representatives

Opposing Views

Our representatives in Washington, D.C., are doing their jobs.

They’re being politicians who are standing up for what they believe.

Regardless of whether you believe this was what the Founding Fathers of this country had planned, this is how our government works.

If reality angers you and your neighbors and you think this style of government should be changed, then change it.

Run on the platform to change the way Washington operates, and win, because you are backed by overwhelming support from your concurring neighbors.

Then, go to Washington and speak up for yourself and your neighbors. Try your hardest to do right by those who voted for your promise to change this screwy
Congress of ours.

Only now, you’re constantly ignored or bullied by your fellow congressmen. They have been there longer than you, they outnumber you and they are happy with the dysfunctional system of government.

Sounds upsetting, right?

But you didn’t come all this way, put in all this time and exhaustive work to be deterred by these people not paying attention to logical argument.

Maybe you think the only way these people will finally hear logical arguments is if you do something that will garner their attention.

Maybe now you can see where the newly elected Republicans are coming from more than you’d like to admit.  

Yes, the shutdown sucks. No Congressman can honestly say he is happy with sending home thousands of hard-working government employees.

But, unfortunately, it’s the collateral damage we Americans pay for being able to have the right to voice our opinion and take a stand on Capitol Hill.

To say, however, these people we elected to represent us and make our opinions heard aren’t doing their job, is simply preposterous.

­— eygoldar@indiana.edu