arts performances

Paul Reiser performing at the Comedy Attic

Comedian Paul Reiser will be performing at the Comedy Attic Friday and Saturday.
Tickets cost $34.50 and can be purchased on the Comedy Attic’s website.

Reiser is known for co-creating and starring in the NBC sitcom, “Mad About You.”
He has also appeared in the 1982 film “Diner” and is included in Comedy Central’s list of 100 Greatest Stand-ups of All Time.

Before Reiser’s Bloomington shows, the IDS spoke to him about his love of comedy and the highlights of his career.

IDS Have you always loved comedy? What inspired you to pursue it as a career?
Paul Reiser I always loved comedy, even as a kid, but I didn’t know that it was something you could actually do.

I just thought those guys I was enjoying on TV were just appointed or something.

But when I was in college, comedy clubs in New York City were suddenly the  focal point, a place where you could go and learn the craft. Really just by going up and doing it.

But the timing of it was perfect. It was just when I really began to focus on comedy, I suddenly had a place to go.

IDS So you’ve done TV, writing and performances with live audiences on stage. Which do you prefer and why?

Reiser I actually love doing stand-up the most because it’s the most pure. There’s no waiting, there’s no needing to get approval from networks, studios or funding, or test groups.

You think of something you think is funny, and you go tell it on stage. The audience will tell you right then and there if it’s funny.

And also, it’s such an elusive thing. It changes from night to night, audience to audience.

IDS What is your favorite thing that you’ve done in your career thus far?

Reiser Well, certainly the seven years of “Mad About You” were something that happens once in a lifetime, if you’re lucky.

That was a wonderful thing, to be in that many people’s homes and lives for that long.
The other thrill was making the movie called “The Thing About My Folks” with the late, great Peter Falk.

It was a movie I wrote for him, and I was thrilled just that he said yes, but making it was a joy.

IDS  What is the weirdest/funniest thing that has happened to you during a show?
Reiser I honestly couldn’t say. My hunch is it’s going to happen this weekend in Bloomington.

Follow reporter Alexis Benveniste on Twitter @apbenven.