sports golf

Men's golf in 4th after 36 holes at the Pinetree Intercollegiate

With the first 36 holes of the Pinetree Intercollegiate in the books, the IU men’s golf team remains within striking distance of the top of the leaderboard.

The team currently sits in fourth place with a cumulative score of 11-over par 587, 11 strokes out of first place Akron.

Freshman Keegan Vea has shined through the first two rounds at the Pinetree Country Club in Cobb, Ga., and is positioned in a tie for fifth place. He has set the pace for the Hoosiers with a combined score of even par 144 through the first two rounds.

After the first round, the Hoosiers were tied for fourth place, alongside tournament-host
Kennesaw State.

At a score of eight-over par 296, the Hoosiers were eight strokes behind the leader, Akron, and only two strokes out of second place.

Vea continued his scorching play in the first round with a two-under par 70 to lead the charge for the Hoosiers. This left him tied for fourth through the first 18 holes.

For Vea, this followed a breakout two-under par 70 performance in the last round of the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate last Tuesday.

Senior David Mills provided the next best score for the Hoosiers at one-over par 73, which left him in a tie for 11th place.

Freshman Will Seger also slid into the top 20, with a three-over par 75 to put him in a tie for 20th.

Sophomore Max Kollin and junior Nicholas Grubnich concluded the team scoring, both offering scores of six-over par 78.

Competing as an individual, freshman Andrew Havill occupied a share of the 20th spot on the leaderboard through the first round after posting a three-over par 75.

In the second round, the Hoosiers improved five strokes as a team with a score of 291, bringing them to 587 on the day.

Vea shot a two-over par 74 to maintain his status as the low scorer for the team on the day.

After shooting the highest score on the team in the first round, Kollin produced the best score in the second round for the Hoosiers with a one-under par 71. This moved him to a tie for 24th on the leaderboard at 149.

Mills duplicated his first round performance with another one-over par 73, keeping him in a tie for 11th place at 146.

Seger posted a two-over par 74, and Grubnich scored a one-over par 73 to bring them to 149 and 151.

In the individual section, Havill carded a seven-over par 79 to end the day in a tie for 44th place at 154.

Follow reporter Michael Nichols on Twitter @Mike_Nichols1.