sports field hockey

Field hockey shut out in two games

CAROUSELField Hockey

After being held scoreless in this weekend’s set of matches, IU field hockey Coach Amy Robertson said she wants to see improvement in the team’s attack as it approaches the Big Ten Tournament.

“We have to make better decisions in our attacking third,” Robertson said. “Our defense is playing as good as they can. We have to be able to score.”

The Hoosiers lost Friday to No. 11 Northwestern 2-0, and they also lost to Rutgers on Sunday 1-0 after Rutgers scored the game-winning goal with just more than a minute left in regulation.

Friday, both teams started off attacking very quickly.

Nortwestern registered two goals in the first half, both of which were scored by senior forward Nikki Parsley.

Parsley scored the first goal of the game in the 17th minute from a shot to the left of the cage.

Wildcats’ freshman midfielder Dominique Master was credited with the assist.

In the 25th minute, Parsley scored an unassisted goal to give the Wildcats a 2-0 lead. That would be the final goal of the match.

The Hoosiers were outshot by the Wildcats 16-2 with both of their shots coming in the first half.

Senior back Danielle McNally said there were a lot of positives to take away from the game and this loss will provide the team with extra motivation moving forward.

“We are frustrated about the loss,” McNally said. “We felt that we dominated a majority of the game defensively.”

Sunday, the Hoosiers kept the Scarlet Knights scoreless for 68 minutes until sophomore forward Katie Champion scored an unassisted goal in the open field to give Rutgers its ninth win of the season.

IU was able to get into the circle more on Sunday, but the Hoosiers were still outshot 13-9.

Robertson said the next two matches are extremely important.

“Our backs are against the wall right now,” Robertson said. “The next few games are must-wins for this program.”

IU junior goalkeeper Maggie Olson has played a key role for the Hoosiers this season.

Olson is currently leading the Big Ten in the three major goalkeeper statistical categories: saves, save percentage and saves per game.

Olson added to the effort over the weekend, recording 17 saves.

She said she attributes her improvement throughout the season to assistant coach Phil Edwards.

“Phil and I have been focusing in the last few weeks on getting the little things right,” Olson said.

“Repetition and making sure I get everything right every time has been key. ”

Robertson said Olson’s confidence has been a major factor in her development this season.

“She is a great leader for this program and is a person who always has a lot of composure,” Robertson said. “She is easy to coach and is someone who you can be honest with.”

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @Dan_Matney.