sports field hockey

Field hockey loses two games during weekend

For the first time this season, the IU field hockey team made an appearance on the Big Ten Network, facing off with conference rival Michigan State.

The Hoosiers didn’t get the result they were hoping for, falling to the Spartans 4-3, which gives the Hoosiers a 0-2 record in Big Ten play.

The Spartans attacked quickly from the start of the game when Abby Barker found the back of the cage off a pass from Allie Ahern slightly more than seven minutes into the first half.

Eleven minutes later, IU scored its first goal of the game when sophomore back Sydney Supica scored off of a penalty corner.

Freshman forward Hannah McDermott and freshman midfielder Mollie Getzfread were each credited with an assist on the play, which was Supica’s fourth goal of the season.

With just less than 10 minutes remaining in the first half, Barker was able to connect on her second goal of the game for Michigan State. Barker connected from the right side of the cage off a pass from Adrea Donaldson.

Adelle Lever capitalized off a rebound at the 43-minute mark for the Spartans to make it 3-1.

After a brief media timeout, the Spartans scored on a breakaway at the 52-minute mark. Barker scored her third goal of the game off a chip shot after she drew IU junior goalkeeper Maggie Olson out from the cage.

With a 4-1 lead and 13 minutes remaining in regulation, the game appeared to be locked for a Michigan State victory.

The Hoosiers fought back when senior back Danielle McNally scored off a cross from the right side of the cage. Freshman midfielder Kate Barber was credited with the assist.

Just less than three minutes later, Supica scored her second goal of the game off a penalty corner, which was assisted by McDermott and Getzfread. In three minutes, the Hoosiers cut the Michigan State lead to one goal.

With about two minutes left in the game, IU received its sixth penalty corner of the game. The inbound pass was mishandled, which resulted in a Hoosier turnover.

The Spartans survived the Hoosiers’ late game surge to secure their second Big Ten victory of the season.

Although the team fell short, IU senior defender Hannah Boyer said the late-game comeback attempt was very encouraging as the season moves forward.

“After trailing by three goals, putting two shots in the back of the net really showed heart in our team,” Boyer said. “I think it is something we can carry with us moving forward.”

IU Coach Amy Robertson praised the play of some of the Hoosiers’ bench players, specifically McDermott.

“Hannah faced a lot of adversity at the beginning of the season,” Robertson said. “I saw her emergence coming. Now that she is comfortable and has adapted to our system, she is going to be very important moving forward.”

On Sunday, the Hoosiers took a trip to Louisville to face off against the Cardinals. IU was unable to register a goal as the Hoosiers lost by a score of 3-0.

Louisville scored in the 18th minute of the match when Elisa Garcia scored off a penalty corner.

In the 35th minute, Louisville forward Shannon Sloss scored her seventh goal of the season after a shot to the left side of the circle.

Alyssa Voelmle secured the Cardinals’ win when she scored her eighth goal of the season off a rebound from a penalty corner.

The Hoosiers, who are now on a three-game losing streak, have a shot at getting back on track when they take a trip to Iowa to face off against Iowa on Friday and Pacific on Saturday.

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @Dan_Matney.