Dennis James, Mark Goldstein return for Halloween performance

Organist Dennis James will accompany an upcoming showing of silent film “Aelita: Queen of Mars” as part of “Dennis James Hosts Halloween” Oct. 26 at the IU
Auditorium.

James will be joined by experimental percussionist Mark Goldstein.

The show begins at 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $8 for students and $16 for the general public and can be purchased through the IU Auditorium box office or
ticketmaster.com.

James’ accompaniment with the science fiction film has become a tradition at IU. IU Auditorium Director Doug Booher said in a press release the Auditorium always looks forward to having James.

“It is always a special treat to have Dennis James host Halloween,” Booher said. “This family-friendly event is a fun and unique experience all audiences can enjoy. It is theatrical, exciting, playfully spooky, and nostalgic.”

James and Goldstein make up the Filmharmonia Duo. Filmharmonia was started by James as a way to utilize musicians from all different genres and instruments.

Originally released in 1924, “Aelita: Queen of Mars” tells the story of Los, who is suspected of killing his wife and escapes to Mars in a vessel he invented. There, he falls in love with Aelita, the planet’s ruler who proceeds to imprison and enslave him.

James said in a press release the combination of the film and Filmharmonia’s
music creates the perfect mood for the spooky holiday.

“With the project being a glorious pioneering example of the Sci-Fi film genre, it will work quite well for a Halloween crowd,” he said. “With rockets, space travel, Martians ... who could ask for anything more?”

— Carolyn Crowcroft

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.