Column: Crean talks more than basketball

If you weren’t aware that IU Coach Tom Crean made a living coaching basketball, you’d likely assume he’s a minister or a motivational speaker.

This notion held true during Crean’s “The State of the Hoosier Nation” address at the IU Auditorium Wednesday evening.

While Crean didn’t speak directly about his team for the entirety of his speech, he touched on a number of topics that apply to any individual yearning to achieve success in any facet of life.

And there’s something to be said for a person such as Crean to have such tremendous passion for instilling what wisdom and advice he has in those willing to listen.

Crean had the undivided attention of approximately 300 such people during his speech, each of whom likely wasn’t aware that his initial talking points tied directly to the 2013-14 Hoosier squad.

That’s how effective a motivator, communicator and leader Crean is.

With a youth movement of sorts on his hands, those skills of Crean’s will be crucial for his team to even scratch the surface of the success the program experienced last season, which ended with a 61-50 loss to Syracuse in the Sweet 16.

With only two returning starters — sophomore point guard Yogi Ferrell and senior forward Will Sheehey — the Hoosiers’ unique challenge will be finding their identity.

Growing pains will be an inevitable aspect of that journey.

“You don’t build anything of substance without going through adversity,” Crean said.

Crean specifically mentioned two young players battling their own adversity — sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell and sophomore forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea — who will be critical to any success his Hoosiers may enjoy this season.

“He wants to be better,” Crean said regarding the development of Mosquera-Perea. “He’s got to develop a consistency. We need to see what he’s capable of. We need Hanner to stretch himself.”

As for Hollowell, the Indianapolis native has been an enigma of sorts, though an enigma loaded with potential.

Crean said the 6-foot-8-inch, 219-pound forward has been the team’s leading scorer thus far through the early portion of preseason practices, but has struggled with consistency from one practice to the next.

“He had some plays today in the pick-and-roll that we never would have done a year ago, and he’s going down the lane making plays,” Crean said.

While Mosquera-Perea and Hollowell will be key cogs in the rotation, freshman forward Noah Vonleh continues to be the most celebrated and discussed player on the roster, certainly a by-product of his vast recruiting accolades.

The No. 8-ranked prospect nationally in the 2013 class per Rivals.com, Vonleh has earned Crean’s praise, though more for his intangibles.

Despite being a freshman, Vonleh has displayed leadership traits that will most certainly serve as the glue necessary for an inexperienced team.

“Noah Vonleh has a rare work ethic,” Crean said. “He’s just scratching the surface. He has natural leadership that will continue to grow. It’s hard to believe he’s only been 18 for a month.”

Quite evidently, the talent and potential is there for this team.

It’s just a matter of how well it meshes.

“It’s going to take time,” Crean said. “It’s going to take time. It’s not a plea for patience, but it’s reality.”

­— ckillore@indiana.edu Follow columnist Connor Killoren on Twitter @IDS_CGKilloren.