politics

City eliminates event meter fee

Bloomington recently eliminated a proposed fee for use of metered spaces by street festivals and other events after community members expressed
concerns.

The festival parking meter policy, which was scheduled to go into effect Oct. 1, would have required festivals and other downtown events to pay a fee for each metered parking spot.

Susie Johnson, director of public works for the City of Bloomington, said in an email that event sponsors would have been required to pay 85 percent of the rate for each parking space during the time the meter was not available to the general public.

Miah Michaelsen, assistant director for the arts in the City of Bloomington’s Economic and Sustainable Development Department, said they had looked at a lot of other communities that do charge for lost meter revenue, but felt it was best not to proceed with the policy after hearing from event organizers.

“Getting feedback from those most affected, we felt that it would be detrimental to them and potentially negatively impact the quality of an event in particular or potential for new events to emerge,” Michaelsen said.

Mayor Mark Kruzan said downtown nonprofit events are destination attractions that need to be encouraged.

Charging for events would work against the goal of encouraging events downtown such as Lotus World Music and Arts Festival, Fourth Street Festival of the Arts and Crafts and Taste of Bloomington, Kruzan said in a press release.

However, Michaelsen said people who use the parks to stage events will still have to pay.

Chad Rabinovitz, producing artistic director of Bloomington Playwrights Project, which sponsors the Arts Fair on the Square, said he expressed concerns about the policy to Kruzan, saying nonprofit organization events bring business to Bloomington.

“We felt it wasn’t the best situation for the City of Bloomington to charge us,” Rabinovitz said. “You have tens of thousands of people who then spend money in Bloomington and give business to local shops."

“We’re bringing people from out of town who stay overnight and create business for the Bloomington community while also creating events that make Bloomington an enjoyable place to live.”

Rabinovitz said Kruzan, who listened to his concerns regarding eliminating the fee, made the best decision for the community.

“It’s truly remarkable that Bloomington has someone like Mayor Kruzan who is so open and willing to listen,” Rabinovitz said. “Our goal is to serve the community, and this decision allows us to better serve the community.”

Follow reporter Alli Friedman on Twitter @afreedz.