sports women's basketball

Women's basketball will be tested early in Big Ten play

At one point last season, IU had seven players on the women’s basketball team. This year, the team has 16. That depth will provide a solid foundation for the conference season.

Similar to last season, the Hoosiers will have 16 conference games, half of them at home.

IU will be challenged early when it opens conference play at home against Iowa Jan. 2.
Although they finished seventh in the Big Ten last season, the Hawkeyes were one of the top defensive teams in the league. They finished fourth in steals and field goal percent defense.

The first road game of the conference season will be at Purdue Jan. 6. This is the only time the Hoosiers will face their biggest in-state rival this season.

The Boilermakers had the fourth-best record in the Big Ten last season and shot 43.5 percent from the field as a team. However, its 595 turnovers were second highest in
the conference.

Both the Hawkeyes and the Boilermakers earned NCAA Tournament bids last season and will test the Hoosiers early this year.

After facing these teams, the Hoosiers will square off against Ohio Sate at home Jan. 11. The Buckeyes finished last season shooting 44.0 percent from the field as a team, the best in the Big Ten.

Senior Ashley Adams will contest the Hoosiers’ frontcourt, as her 0.540 field goal percentage was top among Big Ten players.

In the first of two matchups the season, IU will face Wisconsin Jan. 15 after
playing Ohio State at home.

The Badgers were the best free throw-shooting team in the conference last season.

The Hoosiers will face Wisconsin Jan. 15 in Madison, Wis., and Feb. 8 in Bloomington.

Another opponent IU will see twice this season is Minnesota Jan. 19 and Feb. 27. The Golden  Gophers finished ninth in the Big Ten but should not be underestimated.

They had the second-best team scoring average in the Big Ten at 69.4 points per game. Minnesota finished second in field goal percentage at 0.439 and third in 3-point field goal percentage at 0.347.

IU will also face Penn State twice this season Jan. 22 and Feb. 13. The Nittany Lions were Big Ten regular season champions the past two seasons.

Look for part two of the Big Ten regular season schedule in Friday’s paper.

Follow reporter Stuart Jackson on Twitter @Stuart_Jackson1.