sports volleyball

Nwaeze leads women’s volleyball to Indiana Invitational Title

spVolleyball

The IU women’s volleyball team (3-0) started its season off by dominating three opponents to win the Indiana Invitational this past weekend.

Senior Caitlin Hansen and sophomores Amelia Anderson and Awele Nwaeze were named to the all tournament team, with Nwaeze named the tournament’s most valuable player.

“I’m more happy that we won, but it is an honor to be MVP and an honor to be on the all tournament team,” Nwaeze said.

IU pounded Robert Morris in the opener Friday night, winning 3-0 (25-13, 25-20, 25-18). Fifth year senior Jordan Haverly led the Hoosiers with 11 kills and seven digs.

Sophomore Katie Gallagher had 17 assists, Hansen led the team in digs with eight and Nwaeze had eight kills and a team high five blocks.

“Our mentality was really good throughout the entire tournament,” IU Coach Sherry Dunbar said. “We talked about having an attack mentality, and I thought we came out with that and used our physicality in this tournament against teams that weren’t as physical as us.”

Saturday morning IU took down future Big Ten member Rutgers in another 3-0 sweep (25-16, 25-21, 25-20). Senior Jade Henderson and junior Morgan Leach each had nine kills, Leach also added five blocks. Hansen led the team with 11 digs and freshman Megan Tallman had 16 assists. IU had control in each set but the third until the Hoosiers pulled away on a 6-1 run to win the set.

“We didn’t let the pressure get to us,” Nwaeze said. “We didn’t let up. We went out there for every point and attacked, and that showed a lot of character for our team.”

In the closing match of the tournament, IU knocked off the Kent State Golden Flashes 3-1, (25-11, 25-22, 22-25, 25-22). After winning the first eight sets of the season, IU dropped the third set after Kent State rallied from being down by five to win by three. IU came back to win a tough fourth set.

Haverly had 16 kills and seven digs. Nwaeze had 13 kills, three blocks and two aces. Anderson had 10 kills to go with an ace. Gallagher led the team in assists with 29, and Hansen led in digs with 16 for IU.

“Awele was our MVP, and I thought she did some really nice things for us. She was just very dynamic, made some big plays when we needed her to make some big plays, and I think that’s what great players do when they’re needed,” Dunbar said. “We call that competitive greatness.”

Haverly, who has been battling an injured knee following surgeries, helped the Hoosiers with 34 kills in the tournament.

“I was really proud of (Haverly),” Dunbar said. “The knee is not great, and she pushed through three long matches, playing six rotations — the only player playing six rotations.”

Dunbar said IU also communicated well, talking throughout each match, and it showed in their play.

“Caitlin was our most consistent player,” Dunbar said. “She passed really well. She led the court, ran the court and no matter what the score was, she was in their ears telling them we are going to win and this is what we are going to do, and I think you have to have someone like that as your libero, and I thought she did a good job.”

After an exciting start this weekend, Anderson said the team has high hopes for the rest of the season.

“We are going to the tournament this year,” Anderson said. “We are going.”

Follow volleyball reporter Andrew Vailliencourt on Twitter at @AndrewVcourt.