Jacobs to honor professor's legacy with concert

In honor of distinguished professor Janos Starker and his life, the Jacobs School of Music announced Monday it will play host to a special honorary event.

The gathering will occur Sept. 22 at the Musical Arts Center.

Starker was a child prodigy born in Hungary. During World War II, he survived internment by the Nazi’s.

He was known worldwide for his teachings, performances and recordings.

He also won a Grammy Award in 1998 for one of his recordings of Bach’s six suites for solo cello.

The event is open to the public and will be streamed online via IU Music Live! as well as through WFIU radio.

Performers scheduled for the event include violinists William and Alexandra Preucil, cellist Mark Kosower and pianist Shigeo Neriki.

There will also be a recorded performance from the late pianist Gyorgy Sebok.

Performers will play songs by famous composers such as Felix Mendelssohn, Johann Sebastian Bach, Johannes Brahms and Gabriel Fauré.

Gwyn Richards, dean of Jacobs, said he looks forward to the event as a way for people to honor Starker’s legacy.

“We gather on Sunday to honor a pillar of our school and a leading figure in our field,” Richards said in a press release.

This will also be a chance for people to hear from Starker’s family and express their gratitude.

“This occasion will provide an opportunity for the many people touched by professor Starker’s life to express their gratitude, to hear from the family and to share with each other,” she said.

Starker, who taught cello at Jacobs, passed away April 28, 2013 in a Bloomington hospipce. He was 88 years old.

—  Carolyn Crowcroft