Hiatt, Feinstein to play at Arts award ceremony

The Indiana Arts Commission announced musicians John Hiatt and Michael Feinstein will perform at the 2013 Governor’s Arts Awards ceremony.

Hiatt, a well-respected singer/songwriter, and Feinstein, a music revivalist most known for his work on the Great American Songbook, have both receieved many accolades throughout their professional careers, including multiple Grammy nominations each.

Hiatt and Feinstein will be among four performances at the ceremony, which will be on Sept. 26, at the Center for the Performing Arts in Carmel, Ind.

Hiatt is also among one of the honorees at this year’s ceremony.

Other award recipients include philanthropist Christel DeHaan, music educator/vocalist Cynthia Hartshorn and Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan.

“Traditionally, the awards program has strived to highlight the talents of recipients who are performing artists,” IAC Executive Director Lewis C. Ricci said in a press
release.

“Such artists as Angela Brown, Sylvia McNair, Menahem Pressler and the Indianapolis Children’s Choir have previously graced the stage and added to the spectacle of this event. We are so honored.”

The Governor’s Arts Awards began in 1973 and have been awarded every two years in recognition of individuals’ or organizations’ outstanding achievement in the arts.

Past recipients have included novelist Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., sculptor Robert Indiana and songwriter Hoagy Carmichael.

— Carolyn Crowcroft