sports field hockey

Field hockey sets single game scoring record

IU v Radford

Heading into the first two home games of the season, IU Coach Amy Robertson said she wanted the team to find the goal more after being stuck scoreless in a set of tough losses last weekend against Duke and Drexel.

The Hoosiers did just that Friday and Sunday. They defeated St. Louis 11-0 Friday and Radford 3-0 Sunday.

Sophomore Karen Lorite scored the first goal of the game Friday off an assist from junior Audra Heilman just 3:48 into the first half.

The Hoosiers’ 11 goals Friday set a team single-game record. Heilman recorded her first-career hat trick, scoring three goals and adding three assists. Seven different Hoosiers scored a goal, which is something Heilman said she was excited about.

“We had seven different goal scorers,” she said. “That’s huge for us. Our ball movement and hard work was very important for us.”

IU attempted a season-high 34 total shots, including 26 shots on goal. Senior Danielle McNally also added two goals on three shots.

Freshman Morgan Dye scored her first two career goals Friday. Dye said she was excited about her offensive performance, but she also said she appreciated the effort the team put forth.

“I think that we were working really well together,” Dye said. “We were making the adjustments that the coaches wanted us to make. We were more aggressive when we were in the circle.”

Robertson said she didn’t know until after the game that the Hoosiers had broken the single-game goal record.

“It’s exciting. It is always fun to make history,” Robertson said. “I think overall this team just kept their foot on the pedal and played as hard as they could. Our goal is to get better every game.”

Against Radford, the Hoosiers scored their three goals of the game all in the first half.
Lorite had another big game Sunday, scoring two goals on just two shot attempts, which were her second and third goals of the season. Her first goal came at the 11:47 mark off of a corner. Heilman and Sydney Supica both were credited with the assist on the play.

The Hoosiers’ aggressive offensive attack continued with sophomore Rachel Stauffer scoring her first goal of the season at the 20:38 mark from a shot to the right of the cage. Dye was credited with the assist.

Less than two minutes later, IU scored what would be their final goal of the game. Lorite scored a shot from the center of the cage off a pass from Emily Bowker.

Defense was the key during the second half. IU allowed Radford to get off just two shots for the entire period.

The Hoosiers also limited Radford to just two penalty corners, something that Robertson focused on in practice this week.

Robertson was impressed with the team’s defensive effort and credits that to limiting space at midfield.

“We have done a lot better with our midfield structure,” she said. “We are closing down more space at midfield, which is helping our forwards work back to the ball and forcing our opponents to make errors.”

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @Dan_Matney.