Column: Chipotle's 'The Scarecrow' — the ad that went viral

Twenty years ago, Indianapolis native and aspiring chef Steve Ells was inspired by Mexican eateries in San Francisco’s Mission District.

From this inspiration, and with a loan from his parents, Chipotle was born.

Since its beginning, Chipotle has been marketing itself as a healthy, environmentally conscious restaurant since it started serving naturally-raised pork in 2000.

But fewer than two weeks ago, the Mexican chain took its agenda to another level.

On Sept. 12, Chipotle released “The Scarecrow,” a short video that condemns cage-raised, antibiotic-ridden animals and Big Food companies.

While Americans should see the video for a reminder of today’s distorted food production system, they should also see the video for what it is at its core — an
advertisement.

The clip follows an anthropomorphic scarecrow saddened by the world’s mindless loyalty to unsustainable factory farming run by industrial giant Crow Foods. Fiona Apple’s haunting rendition of “Pure Imagination” from “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” plays in the background.

At this point, you feel guilty for supporting America’s corrupt corporate food system.

But once the scarecrow leaves for the countryside and finds a fresh chili pepper — Chipotle’s logo — he begins making fresh food, and the mood lightens.

It’s no secret that Chipotle is environmentally superior to the majority of convenience food restaurant chains. The meat is 100 percent naturally raised, the dairy contains no rBGH and tofu is being added as a protein option in stores across the country.

However, Chipotle is still a chain restaurant.

Though company members might want Americans to face the truth about Big Food corporations, they also want money.

By making consumers feel bad about supporting restaurants that serve inhumanely raised meat, which is a majority of Chipotle’s fast food competitors, it’s driving customers away from the Golden Arches and closer to the Chili Pepper.

This is not meant to be a condemnation of Chipotle, for I will still frequent the Kirkwood location when I’m in the mood for one of its irresistible burrito bowls.

As I said earlier, the chain uses healthy ingredients and they make for a delicious product.

This is more of a way to say this to consumers — don’t jump on a bandwagon without thinking about secret motives, which is applicable to everything from politics to pop culture.

Thinking about food and its production can do more than just make your mouth water.

­— acarnold@indiana.edu

Follow food columnist Amanda Arnold on Twitter @Amanda_Arnold14.