Hoosiers beat Sycamores in season opener

CAROUSELspFootball

The Indiana Hoosiers had a record-breaking offensive outburst in their season-opening victory against Indiana State Thursday night at Memorial Stadium. IU defeated the Sycamores 73-35 under the lights in front of a crowd of 40,278.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson said that the Hoosiers’ effort was outstanding.

“I thought our defensive effort, we got worked a couple times, but it was significantly better,” he said. “I still think we got to keep bringing the run game along and some things on offense but we’ve got some playmakers there and that’s evident. We’re a young team that’s got a lot of guys back, a lot of good younger players.”

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Tre Roberson started the game under center, which officially ended an offseason full of questions about IU’s quarterback competition. He completed four of his seven passes for 75 yards and two touchdowns.

Wilson said he wanted one of the other two quarterbacks to start, but the coaching staff as a whole decided to start Roberson. He said that after IU built up a large lead, he decided not to risk Roberson’s health.

“It’s open, and that’s what I want,” Roberson said of the quarterback competition. “Cam and Nate are both good players. Them pushing me and us pushing each other is going to make us even better.”

Backup quarterback Nate Sudfeld made a strong case for the Hoosiers’ coaching staff to continue using multiple quarterbacks. He completed more than 70 percent of his passes for 219 yards, four touchdowns and one interception.

Eight IU receivers caught passes on Thursday, and half of them scored a touchdown. In total, the Hoosiers scored a school record 10 touchdowns. Their performance against ISU will go down in school history as the most points by IU in a half (45), most points at Memorial Stadium and the second-most points in a single game.

The Hoosiers accumulated 632 total offensive yards in what was a balanced offensive effort. Fifty-four of IU’s 84 plays were rushing attempts, and the team posted more than 300 yards through the air and on the ground.

Sophomore running back Tevin Coleman, who was named the starter last week, ran for 169 yards and two touchdowns on 14 carries.

Senior wide receiver and punt returner Shane Wynn scored all three times he touched the ball — twice on receptions and one punt return.

Wynn was knocked out of the game when ISU’s Carlos Aviles leveled Wynn after he called for a fair catch.

After the hit, IU responded with a 69-yard drive led by senior wide receiver Kofi Hughes.

“On that drive specifically, you hurt one of our boys,” Hughes said. “And that’s one of my best friends. I took that really personally. I think that’s why I kind of went out there and played mad.”

When reflecting on the game, Wilson said it was nice that IU played hard against ISU.
“Stats are fair, we got a really good ‘W,’ playing can be so much better,” he said. “This week, it’s not coach speak, but given that we’re off, getting class, having a great Saturday, Sunday, when the Midshipmen come in, it’s going to be a good game.”

Follow reporter Andy Wittry on Twitter @AndyWittryIDS.