Gathering for goods

entGathering

When Talia Halliday noticed the lack of handmade shops in Bloomington, she said she was disappointed. In February 2013, she decided to do something about it.

On Aug. 24, Blueline Gallery opened its doors 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. for Gathering, Halliday’s one-day pop-up shop that featured handmade art from 35 local artists. This is the third time the pop-up shop has occurred.

“I do a lot of craft shows myself — I’m an artist,” Halliday said. “But instead of doing another show, I wanted to do a shop that had handmade items.”

However, Halliday said she wasn’t quite ready to make the jump to take on anything long lasting.

“This is a way for me to test the waters to see if I can have a shop,” she said.

At the end of July, Halliday started accepting applications from artists who wanted to display their artwork at the shop. She received over 50 applications but was only able to let in 35 artists.

The first Gathering highlighted gifts suitable for Valentine’s Day, and the second shop featured gifts for Mother’s Day. Talia said for the most recent shop, she hoped to appeal to college students seeking dorm room decorations and affordable accessories.

“We’re doing these one-day events throughout the year and through the month of December to promote shopping local and shopping handmade for the holidays,” Halliday said.

Outside the gallery, shoppers could buy food from Gypsy Moon Nosh Wagon and listen to live acoustics of Gray Stephenson and Danny Huggins.

Christie Cooper, a Bloomington local, said she was impressed with the atmosphere.

“I’m thinking about getting one of the turntable cards,” Cooper said.

An hour into the event, Halliday said it had already been a great day. She said one day she hopes to install Gathering in a permanent shop.

“I really want to be an arts advocate and advocator for my artist friends, because they’re super talented,” Halliday said. “I like sharing everyone’s work because so many people haven’t seen it.”

ABOUT THE ARTIST:

Talia Halliday moved to Bloomington in 1998, but she’s been doing art since she was a kid.

In 2009, she helped organize the Bloomington Handmade Market. Feeling inspired, Halliday started Conduit Press, her  own art business.

“For my business, I make hand-bound leather journals with recycled leather and scrap leather, and then I also use vintage books and turn them into little boxes and funny things,” she said.

And when Halliday’s not making art, she works as a full-time mom.
“I have a 4-year-old, and 12- and 18-year-old’s,” she said. “So yep, I’m pretty busy.”

Follow reporter Amanda Arnold on Twitter @Amanda_Arnold14