Dog day encourages adoption

ciDogDay

Furry, four-legged friends filled the WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology Sunday. The occasion: National Dog Day.

The event is held annually at WonderLab, usually on the weekend preceding National Dog Day, This year the museum brought in local rescue and veterinary groups to educate children about dogs.

“National Dog Day is a day that encourages adopting from shelters, as well as celebrating dogs in general,” WonderLab Museum Assistant Liza Huffman said.

According to nationaldogday.com, author Colleen Paige wanted a holiday dedicated to appreciation of dogs, and established Aug. 26 as National Dog Day in 2004.

“It is not every day that we are bringing in live animals that the kids can interact with, and it’s something I think everyone really enjoys,” Huffman said.

Charlotte Walker, a representative from Pets Alive in Bloomington, demonstrated how microchip implants can identify dogs and cats.

“Microchipping is an easy way for shelters to identify your pet if it becomes lost,” Walker said. “It is especially useful for cats who may not wear an identifying collar.”

The Pets Alive exhibit also offered information on the importance of spaying and neutering to prevent surprise litters and pet overpopulation. Its clinic on South Walnut Street offers spay and neuter services as well as vaccinations four days a week.

The largest group of dogs at the museum Sunday came from the Indianapolis chapter of Greyhound Pets of America. Volunteers brought their own pets and one adoptable dog, a 2-year-old brindled female named Pebbles.

The chapter fosters retired racing greyhounds and places them into adoptive homes, GPA Indy volunteer Erlene Sichting said.

“Most of the greyhounds that we receive have not been mistreated,” Sichting said. “The owners know that a happy and healthy dog races better.”

Sichting said when the dogs fail to win or when they’re 5-years-old, they really cannot be used for racing anymore, so they need new homes.

Sichting, who has fostered more than 30 greyhounds in the past, calls them “velcro dogs” because they tend to stick to their owners’ sides.

“Greyhounds make great house pets,” Celia Hartley, another GPA Indy volunteer, said. “They are athletes, but for most of the day they are gentle, quiet and inactive.”

One of the most popular exhibits was sponsored by the Monroe County Humane Association’s Very Important Paws program. The program consists of a group of individually-owned dogs that are registered therapy pets.

Children had the opportunity to sit with the dogs and read them a story.

VIPaws sponsors an Animal Reading Friends program at the Monroe County Public Library the third Saturday of each month.

VIPaws members Charlotte Blackketter and her Doberman-retriever mix, Russell, met and greeted children all afternoon.

“Children who have inhibitions about reading aloud may feel more comfortable reading to dogs,” Blackketter said.

Follow reporter Brianna Meyer on Twitter @brimmeyer.