Commission honors King’s legacy

On the 50th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech, the Birthday Celebration Commissionbearing his name met at City Hall to vote on new committee positions and discuss plans for upcoming events.

The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Celebration Commission, which works to raise awareness about the life and legacy of King  and promote acceptance of diversity, meets year-round on the last Wednesday of every month.

Craig Brenner, special projects coordinator for Community and Family Resources of Bloomington, said the commission takes advantage of this time of the year to prepare for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in January, which is when a majority of the group’s
activities take place.

These activities include an MLK Legacy Award, service projects and inviting guest speakers to talk about topics that embrace King’s values.

Past speakers include former U.S. congressman Lee Hamilton.

“January is a busy time for the commission,” Brenner said. “But the time leading up to it is also time consuming for planning.”

The commission reviewed various names for possible guest speakers at upcoming events and analyzed fundraising reports.

Chairwoman Mary Tourner said the commission is funded solely by donations and grants.

Although the commission does not receive funds like other city commissions, Tourner said they are still able to stay active in the Bloomington community.

In addition, the commission helps finance a wide variety of service projects, such as feeding people experiencing homelessness.

Tourner said the commission is willing to endorse any project in tune with King’s values, as well as projects occurring around MLK Day.

Members also elected new positions among members, including Reverend Bruce Ervin,director of Outreach and Service Ministries at First Christian Church.

Ervin was appointed as an associate of the commission.

He said this coming January is an ideal time for the commission’s activities.

“January marks a good point between the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington and the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Freedom Summer,” Ervin said.

One of the most anticipated events for the commission is their annual MLK Day Video Contest in January.

The contest accepts original videos that address the life and legacy of King and is open to students in first through 12th grades.

This year’s first place winner will receive an iPad. Students interested can submit their entries on the commission’s website, bloomington.in.gov/mlk.

Past submissions included a rap video about King’s speech.

“I’m really excited about this year’s video contest,” Tourner said. “We’re hoping we can get even more participants than last year.”

Follow reporter Brett Frieman on Twitter
@brttfrmn.