Big Ten Media Day Football Notebook

Who will play running back?
IU Coach Kevin Wilson said that because of the physical nature of playing running back and the pace at which running backs play, most teams will play with more than one.

Accordingly, Wilson said senior Stephen Houston and sophomore Tevin Coleman will be the featured backs with junior D’Angelo Roberts filling in as a complementary player in the backfield.

“Stephen Houston is a quality player,” Wilson said. “(We) need him to be a very consistent practice player, leader, and a very physical leader. For a big back, he plays with great speed and feet.”

Houston scored 16 touchdowns last season and he crossed the goal line in nine consecutive games dating back to 2011. The Little Rock, Ark. native accumulated more than 1,000 all-purpose yards in 2012.

Wilson said Coleman is an “excellent returner” and a “very talented kid.” He added the sophomore could “really take the next step to be an upper level player for us and in this league.”

“And quite honestly, Tevin probably had the better hands coming through spring,” Wilson said. “He had a tremendous spring practice.”

Coleman rushed for 225 yards on 51 carries last season.

Roberts, a Bloomington High School North product, has rushed for more than 500 yards and seven touchdowns in his two seasons at IU.

Wilson thinks Ewald could be NFL player
Senior kicker Mitch Ewald was named to the Lou Groza Award Watch List, given annually to the nation’s top kicker. This marks the third consecutive year Ewald has been placed on the preseason watch list.

“Mitch Ewald, our kicker is here, and I think he may be the best in this league,” Wilson said. “He’ll set every record at Indiana for points. I think he’s an NFL-type player.”

Ewald was one of three Hoosier players at Big Ten Media Day in Chicago and said he is trying not to think about a potential NFL future yet.

“It’s always a dream, you always dream about something like that,” Ewald said. “If that opportunity were to present itself, it would just be the grace of God and I would love to pursue that dream. But to be honest with you, I’m just taking it one day at a time.”

Coming into his senior season, Ewald is sixth all time in points, third in total field goals and the all-time Hoosier leader with an 80-percent field goal percentage.

Other notes
Wilson said his team’s overall health is in good shape.

“Personnel-wise with our guys, we’re very, very healthy. Came out of spring with no legitimate injuries. And as we came off some minor things, we’ve got everyone full tilt and looking to be ready to go as we crank up practice next Friday.”

IU has 19 starters returning on offense and defense, as well as both their punter and kicker. This is the most in the Big Ten.