sports baseball

Slegers shines in complete game despite lack of run support

OMAHA, Neb. -- Sophomore catcher Kyle Schwarber said Aaron Slegers threw his best game of the season Wednesday night.

He still took the loss.

Slegers pitched a complete game for IU Wednesday at TD Ameritrade Park in IU’s third game of the College World Series, allowing just one run, but it was one run too many.

The Hoosiers fell 1-0 to Oregon State, eliminating the Hoosiers from their first College World Series and ending their season.

“It’s tough to say that my best game of the season,” Slegers said. “I know it is on paper, but anytime you walk away with a loss it sure doesn’t feel like it, especially in a situation like thisIt stings pretty bad.”

IU Coach Tracy Smith said he thought Slegers “pitched his rear end off.”

Slegers finished with a final line of nine innings pitched, allowing one run on seven hits. He struck out five and walked two, throwing 116 pitches.

It was Slegers’ first complete game of the season, and his first in an IU uniform.
Schwarber said he knew that Slegers would have a good game on Tuesday, because he knew he would be ready to go.

When Schwarber saw him throwing his warmup pitches in the bullpen, he saw a special look in Slegers’ eyes.

He knew then that it would be a special night for the sophomore.

“When I was down in the bullpen, he had the eye of a tiger,” Schwarber said. “He had that eye where he was going to throw every pitch and he was going to get those guys out.”

Slegers entered the game and threw a first pitch strike. That was his game plan for the rest of the evening.

He wanted to attack the strike zone and get in front of hitters. That allowed him to go to his breaking ball, which he said was a key pitch for him.

“He was just pounding the bottom of the strike zone,” Schwarber said. “He was just letting those guys get themselves out. He was getting groundballs, he was getting fly balls.

“He was working well with his slider and his change up was on today. It was a big pitch for him. He threw it in a big 2-2 count in the last inning and got the guy to swing and miss. He was just very good at locating all of his pitches inside and out. He just worked low and he did a great job.”

Slegers said he entered the night not intending to pitch a complete game. He just took it pitch by pitch.

As the game progressed, he thought his off-speed stuff got even better.

“The off speed got a little better,” he said. I gained a little feel. I was putting myself in controlling counts throwing strike one which was the main factor in that.”

Schwarber said it was difficult to see Slegers take the loss in what could possibly be his last start in an IU uniform, as the 6-foot-10 pitcher was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the fifth round of the MLB First-Year Player Draft this year.

“This was probably the best outing he’s had by far this whole year,” Schwarber said. “I just feel awful that we couldn’t do anything for him and we gave him the loss. It’s just an awful feeling and it will haunt me for a while. He did a great job.”