'Jenny O.' joins Night Beds for Bishop performance

The folk rock band Night Beds made its return to Bloomington Tuesday night at the Bishop, accompanied this time by solo acoustic rock performer Jenny O.

Jenny O. released her debut record Automechanic in February. A singer since she was 5 years old, and a songwriter since her teens, Jenny O. is currently on an international tour supporting both Night Beds and the band Rodriguez.

“It’s my passion. It’s a craft that I live by,” Jenny O. said on her first night performing in Bloomington.

Jenny O. took the stage at 9:30 p.m. to showcase some of her music about half an hour after the doors opened.

Songs included a personal favorite of Jenny O.’s, “Get Lost,” a track she said is about “taking off with another person.”

Night Beds has risen in popularity since its February 2012 performance in Bloomington, the home of their record label, Dead Oceans.

Bloomington resident Matt Novak said he found the band a couple of months ago on a website and began enjoying its alternative rock style, a genre of music of which Novak was not usually a fan.

“There’s a chill aspect to their music,” Novak said.

Night Beds performed to an intimate, yet warm and receptive audience at the Bishop, cheering after the numbers and even participating in some playful banter back and forth with the frontman, Winston Yellen.

All night long the ghostly vocal harmonies and atmospheric folk rock, with steel guitar to boot, washed over the audience at the Bishop.

At the end of the night, Yellen performed an encore as a solo act, performing one of his favorites, “Tenn.”

Yellen said he enjoyed his time in Bloomington.

“I really love it here,” Yellen said. “It’s my kind of vibe.”