administration

IU says goodbye to Vice Provost Stephens

caStephensMUG

Indiana University bid farewell to yet another leader in higher education May 20 in the IMU. Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education Sonya Stephens, who served since January 2009, has been selected to become the next vice president of academic affairs and dean of faculty for Mount Holyoke College. She will assume her new role July 1.

“Sonya’s extensive record of successful leadership in a range of institutional contexts, her deep understanding of liberal education and her commitment to the liberal arts, her understanding of educational strategy and the thoughtful management of change, and above all, her success in recruiting, developing, and retaining an outstanding faculty, will be crucial to Mount Holyoke’s continued strength in the years to come,” Mount Holyoke President Lynn Pasquerella said in a press release issued in March.

While Mount Holyoke anticipates Stephens’ arrival, the departure remains bittersweet for the faculty, students and staff at IU. Several friends of Stephens, including Provost Lauren Robel, spoke at the reception held in her honor, bidding her a fond farewell and thanking her for her many years of valuable service.

“She is so effective and so visionary,” Robel said. “In the short time this office has been in existence, she has created an astonishing legacy of excellence for the position.”

Robel listed several of Stephens’ accomplishments and talked of the major role Stephens played in the recent development of the Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning.

Associate Professor of French Margaret Gray read a message sent to Stephens from Andrea Ciccarelli, chair of the department of French and Italian, a position previously held by Stephens. Ciccarelli is currently overseas and was unable to attend.

“She is a beloved, dedicated, fair and tough teacher,” Ciccarelli’s message read. “Beyond all joke, she has been a great vice provost for undergraduate education. We will all benefit from her work for years to come.”

Stephens made her way to the podium near the end of the reception.

“Thank you all, thank you all for coming,” Stephens said. “I am really grateful to see so many friends and to tell you how much you’ve meant to me during my time here.”

Stephens went on to talk about some of her first experiences at IU, which included getting sunburned in Dunn Meadow, spending hours in record stores and proudly wearing her IU shirt.

“The grace of the buildings, the ever-changing landscapes and most importantly the grace of my colleagues have really shaped my love of IU,” Stephens said.

Although she hails from London, Stephens was not immune to the all-encompassing embrace of IU’s spirit.

“Don’t let the relative shortness of my time here or the accent fool you,” Stephens said. “I have become a Hoosier at heart.”

Before leaving the podium, amidst the loud applause of her colleagues, Stephens once again thanked everyone for coming and for the friendship they offered her during her time at IU.

“I shall always, always watch your successes with tremendous interest,” Stephens said. “Thank you all.”